Chapter 10: Sweet Gestures

Meera's pov

As I made my way through the corridors towards my classroom, my thoughts remained tangled in a web of uncertainty. Each step felt heavy with the weight of my insecurities, dragging me further into the abyss of doubt. I kept my gaze fixed on the ground, unable to face the world around me.

Suddenly, I lifted my head, and there he was-Lakhsya-standing with his friends, laughter echoing through the hallway. My heart skipped a beat as our eyes met, sending a jolt of electricity coursing through my veins. For a moment, time stood still as we locked gazes, his eyes holding a depth of understanding that sent shivers down my spine.

But I quickly averted my gaze, unable to bear the intensity of his stare. With a silent prayer, I hurried past him and slipped into the sanctuary of the classroom, hoping to find solace amidst the familiar surroundings.

........................................................................

As our science teacher instructed us to proceed to the lab, students began to filter out of the classroom, pairing off with their lab partners. Rani has already gone with Aman, I stood rooted to the spot, a whirlwind of conflicting emotions churning inside me. Despite my apprehension, I couldn't shake the feeling that I needed to face him, to confront whatever lay between us.

Just as I had expected, he appeared beside me, his presence sending a jolt of nervous energy coursing through me. My heart raced as I stole a glance in his direction, unable to decipher the emotions swirling in his dark brown eyes.

For a moment, neither of us spoke, the silence heavy with unspoken words and unresolved tension. I struggled to find the courage to meet his gaze, to break the barrier of silence that hung between us like a heavy curtain.

As he stood beside me, his presence a comforting anchor in the swirling sea of my emotions, he spoke in that gentle, tentative voice of his.

"Hey," he said softly, his gaze meeting mine with a hint of nervousness that mirrored my own.

"Hey," I replied, my heart skipping a beat at the sight of his warm smile.

With a quick glance around the empty classroom, he gestured towards the door. "Let's go. All the other students have already left."

As he uttered those words, a sense of awareness dawned upon me. The realization that we were the only two souls left in the classroom sent a flush of heat to my cheeks, coloring them a shade of crimson I couldn't hide.

Nodding in response to his suggestion, I gathered my resolve and began to make my way towards the lab. At first, I felt his presence behind me, a reassuring presence in the empty room. But soon, he moved to walk alongside me, matching his pace with mine as we navigated the silent corridors together.

As we entered the lab, Harsh's teasing voice broke the silence, drawing attention to us. "Uuhmm, Lakhsya, tujhe bada important kaam tha kya jo itna late ho gaya?" he remarked, his tone laced with playful mockery. His words elicited chuckles from the others, and I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment.(why they always tease him when he is with me?) i thought.

("Lakhsya, did you have something really important to do that made you this late?")

Lakhsya responded with a good-natured smack to Harsh's back. "Shut up, yaar," he retorted, attempting to deflect the teasing. But the damage was done, and I exchanged a knowing glance with Rani, who offered me a teasing smile in return.

Thankfully, our science teacher intervened before the teasing could escalate further, redirecting everyone's attention to the task at hand.

So when our turn came to perform the experiment, we executed it flawlessly. We communicated efficiently, only exchanging words when necessary for the experiment's success. Once we completed the task, I meticulously recorded our observations, ensuring that no detail was overlooked.