Chapter Two

Alexis woke up to the morning sunlight kissing the clouds into a purple hue. She could smell maple flavored bacon, fresh cooked eggs, and a mariachi band of scents. All important, but blending together perfectly. Her mind instantly raced to the dirty deeds that had taken place the day before. She attempted to swing her legs out of the bed, but her body felt so heavy that her right foot grazed the edge of the bed and stopped. She could feel the soreness and slow throb of her body pleading for forgiveness. 

“How long did we fuck?”

“The first time or the second time?”

“Shit!!”

Alexis mentally jumped, but her physical body had already placed its two week notice on quick responses. 

“Sorry I scared you. I have to remind myself that I tend to be a ninja when I'm moving around.”

He walked in with a plate sporting a bacon cheese omelet, and three pancakes made from scratch, topped with the homemade syrup he made the week before.

If her body wasn't sore, she would have jumped out of the bed and tried to keep face, but her body just wouldn't listen. She refused to try and stand and start wobbling, she refused to give him the satisfaction. She wanted him all to herself, but she still had some pride about herself.

“Three hours.”

Alexis almost dropped the plate of food in her hands.

“Don't worry, you should be able to walk by around 1pm.”

If her soul could leave her body like on Looney Tunes, it would have. She could feel the color drain from her face.

“Here, take a sip of this.”

She barely was able to realize that he even put a straw in her cup of orange juice. She wanted to stand up and prove him wrong, but if she fell, her pride would die on that hill.

“Don't even try it.”

“Can you read my mind?”

“Now, just your face.”

He let loose a small chuckle as he sat down on the edge of the bed, and kissed her on the forehead.

“What do you want this to be? I know now may not be the best time to ask you, but you don't have to answer now. Just let me know, whenever you're ready.” 

He went to get up, but was stopped by Alexis's hand. 

“Demetrius, I'm sorry. I really care about you, and I want to be by your side. I just don't want you to think this meant nothing to me. What happened yesterday, meant the world to me, but I should have talked to you before tempting you like that.”

“It's both of our faults, I could have walked away.”

“But you didn't.”

“I care about you too much to just walk away, when you were willing to risk it all like that.”

“I'm willing to try, if you are?”

Demetrius turned back, and slowly kissed her lips.

“That'll make me the happiest man on the planet.”

The two shared a moment of quiet bliss as they stared into each other's eyes.

“You should eat your breakfast before it gets cold, babygirl.”

Alexis felt her heart skip a beat as she stared into his hazel eyes. She had never felt this way before with anyone else. She felt safe, warmth, and wanted in ways that she never experienced before. 

“Come lay with me, you worked hard yesterday.”

A devious smile crept across his face.

“Some say it's not work, when you're having fun.”

He gently pulled the teal comforter back, and slid in behind her. His warm body cradling hers, as she started to eat the food he cooked. She ate with earnestness as she beamed on the inside. His warmth, his scent, his very being brought her happiness. As the wind pushed the clouds across the sky to release the warm sunlight free of their prison. Alexis knew that just like those clouds her past was being pushed away, and a bright future was on the horizon.