Tidal Wave

Millie stared into her reflection, trying dreadfully to prepare herself for the day ahead; back to school.
After a break, her rowdy peers always seemed to be even more rowdy and mean, a feat that Millie figured should be unachievable. But, teenagers always seemed to have their cruel methods of making things absolutely miserable for anyone who dared to have any common sense—

Millie shook her head, dismissing the pessimistic wave of thought. For, she had made a promise; a promise to herself that she would no longer be plagued by negative ideals. I guess I have to do it anyway, so I may as well just get it over with, she thought. Bon Bon had advised her not to overthink the things she dreaded, as apparently, it would make it feel even worse for herself.

Millie couldn't really see how she could possibly make it any worse than it already was, but she tried to dismiss the negativities anyway. It was the least she could do to prove herself worthy of living.

The girl continued to survey her reflection, and decided after taking liberty on the blemishes on her face by coating them in the usual makeup, that she looked almost decent enough to go out. So, after some adjustments to her hair and makeup, she figured she was ready for the unpleasant day ahead.

"You ready, Millie?" Grandpa's voice called from the living room, right as she finished up her look.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a second." Millie responded, brushing a few strands of dark, silky hair out of her face. 

"Alright. I'll be waiting in the truck."

"'Kay." Millie exited the bathroom, grabbed her black backpack, and made her way down the hallway and out the front door. She threw herself into the passenger seat, still dreading the day ahead of her. She still had to apologize to Dylan for what she had said about Brooke, and she needed to prepare herself for the routine teasing.

Grandpa started the car, turning the radio on as they started down the street. The Beatles blasted over the truck's speakers, startling Millie. Why do old people always have to listen to their music so loudly? She rolled her eyes as her ears were assaulted by the upbeat tempo of You Can't Do That.

"Did you have some breakfast?" Grandpa turned the volume down a little to speak to her.

"Uh...yeah." Millie lied in response. She wasn't even hungry, but she was pretty sure she had an old granola bar sitting in her backpack, or something.

"Hm. Alright," he sighed, averting his eyes back to the road, "are you excited to be back at school?"

The girl chuckled, rolling her eyes. "No, not really."

"Why not?" Grandpa frowned slightly.

"School's just...boring." Not a lie, but not the truth, either. She didn't want to inform him of the apology that she was both dreading and desperate to give to her friend.

"Well, maybe you'll have a good time."

"Maybe." She stared down at her beat up converse, rehearsing in her mind what she'd say to Dylan. She could see it already; she would rush to the cafeteria, find him—hopefully at the usual spot—and apologize. Easy as that. She tried to block out the what-ifs and the uncertainties that swarmed in her mind, pestering her conscience with negativity.

When they finally pulled up to the school, Grandpa waved Millie bye and wished her a good day. The two exchanged "Love you"s, leaving Millie standing before the place she dreaded the most. Great. Yet another day of Hell.

Millie trudged towards the place she always went to hide before school started: the Library. At least people were instructed to keep quiet there, leaving little room for the laughing and name-calling she typically experienced anywhere else on campus. She looked around, surveying who she had to share the library with. There were some quiet readers and people studying seated across the sturdy wooden tables, but they were few. She took a seat at an unoccupied table and retrieved a book from the depths of her unorganized backpack in an attempt to look busy. She never realized it was so messy before, but she supposed she had probably been too distracted lately to keep it organized.

When the first bell finally rang, marking five minutes until the start of the school day, Millie made her way to her first period: English. The first couple of periods seemed to pass by painfully slow as she anticipated lunch. But, not for the same reason that everyone else awaited the free period. Rather, her peers seemed rather carefree. Just as she had expected, they were loud, rowdy, and annoying as usual. But, she paid no mind to them. Rather than entertaining their schoolyard taunts with a reaction, she ignored them, although it was painfully difficult to do so.

And finally, after hours of anticipation, the last bell rang before lunch break. Millie ran from her Science class, racing towards the cafeteria with her backpack hanging dangerously off her left shoulder. She didn't stop or slow down until she reached her destination. When she finally reached the doors to the lunch room, she pushed past the disorderly teens that crowded at the door to get in, earning some remarks and insults from the people she pushed. She didn't care. She needed to let Dylan know of her regret and gift her apology to him as soon as possible.

Millie searched the tables, which were already teeming with teens, staking her claim at the duo's usual table. The last place she'd seen and spoken with him before she messed up their friendship.

Minutes seemed to pass by like hours. Millie stared at the door, waiting to see her friend with the blazing red hair and unmistakably sweet smile. But, as the minutes slowly slid down the drain, her hopes that she'd be able to deliver her apology went along with it, her enthusiasm dwindling down to a few droplets, her anxiety a tidal wave that drenched her thoughts in uncertainty.

The bell rang, and Dylan was nowhere to be seen.
So, Millie continued on to her next class, disappointed and confused.