Chapter 2- Change is in the Air

It took 20 minutes to drive from the airport to the palace, and in those 20 minutes, Xander and Josie had come up for air twice. It was impressive, really. Arianna rolled her eyes at Desi and Becca, who returned the favor with soft giggles. Becca, her other best friend, was the COO of their lab. A Lotus wolf herself, Becca had grown up with Arianna on the isle and lost her father to the rogue attack that killed her mother and sister. She was the calm in the storm Arianna's life. She didn't know what she would do with her two best friends anchoring her.

     The limo pulled into the courtyard of her uncle's palace, waiting for a space to pull in so they could begin unloading. The courtyard was usually a quiet place full of flower beds and a pretty circle drive. It was not the official entrance to the palace, but those staying here for the week entered through the courtyard. Today it was a mess of people, carts, luggage, and cars. Absolute, slightly organized chaos.

     It was finally their turn and Arianna followed her father out of the limo, Desi close behind. Servants rushed everywhere to take their personal bags and to ensure their luggage was taken to the lotus wing of the palace. Only the Royal Alphas and their families stayed in the palace for the summit and each had their own wing. Arianna smiled and greeted the servants she knew as her uncle came bounding down the steps. She hadn't seen him in many months, since her return fro abroad, and the sight of him tugged at her heart a bit.

     "He looks so tired, Anna." Liana whispered sadly.

     "I know. I wonder what's going on?"

     "I'm sure this summit is exhausting to plan." Liana replied with a whimper.

     Her uncle was greeting Xander and Josie, while her father was eyeing the servants, ensuring our luggage was being taken care of. It was extremely hectic and she wanted to flee to the quiet of her room. That feeling of unease was upon her again, however this time it was not just settling in her gut, but spreading to her chest. Liana shifted around, whining a bit before settling down in her mind. She moved towards Becca and Desi, who was counting pieces of luggage.

     Arianna placed a hand to her chest, rubbing absentmindedly. "Girls let's go in. Let the servants handle it. I'm...I'm not feeling so great."

     Becca turned to her in concern, about to say something, but then froze. She lifted her head and inhaled loudly, scenting the air. "What is that?" she exclaimed, sniffing the air again.

     "What is what? I don't smell anything." Arianna replied, placing her hand on her arm. All unease forgotten in the face of her friend. "Are you okay?"

     Desi looked up from her task and eyed Becca warily. Of the three of them, Becca was the clown, and sometimes acted dramatically to ease the tension. But Becca nodded, and continued to inhale deeply. "I smell pine...and something else? Something sweet, but not quite..." Becca turned suddenly as the breeze shifted, and let out a soft growl as her eyes narrowed on something across the courtyard. Arianna turned from beside her and looked in the direction she was looking off to. All she could see was a group of males talking to one another by the steps.

     Arianna turned back to face her friend. "Maybe you need to lie down? You've been working seriously way too hard and...OOF!" A rather large hand grasped her shoulder and shoved, knocking her to the ground and into a pile of luggage waiting to be taken into the palace. Desi exclaimed as Arianna landed heavily on the bags, handles jabbing her in the back. The man attached to the hand came to a sudden stop before Becca.

     "Mate." he growled, reaching for Becca's hand.

     Becca blinked at the figure towering over her and took the outstretched hand with a gentle smile. "Mate." she softly replied.