CHAPTER 49

The following day, I accompany Alex to the groundbreaking ceremony for the new hotel, my stomach churning with a mix of anticipation and dread. His mother insisted that my presence would be good for the press, but I can't shake the feeling that something is bound to go wrong.

As we arrive at the site, I plaster a smile on my face, determined to play my part. Alex and Collins pose for the cameras, cutting the ribbon, holding shovels, and digging into the earth together. To the untrained eye, they look like the perfect business partners, but I can sense the tension simmering beneath the surface.

Collins takes the microphone, his voice smooth and confident as he expresses his enthusiasm for their continued partnership. I try to focus on his words, but my mind is reeling, wondering when the other shoe will drop.

Suddenly, a reporter's question cuts through the air, and I freeze, my heart pounding in my chest. "What does Mr. Collins think about his business partner's fiancée?"

I watch as a sly smirk spreads across Collins' lips, his eyes flickering over to me. A shiver runs down my spine as our gazes lock, and I swallow hard, praying that no one can see the desire burning in his eyes.

"I have met a lot of women in my life, but very few have left a mark on me like Hannah has. She is an exceptional lady," he says, his words dripping with unspoken meaning.

The reporter chuckles, and I feel my breath catch in my throat. "If we didn't know better, we'd think you were in love with her after those words."

Collins laughs, but his eyes never leave mine. "No, Hannah's heart already belongs to another."

Internally, I'm screaming. What the hell is he doing? He's practically telling the world that the only reason we're not together is that I'm with Alex.

Alex, ever the quick thinker, tries to diffuse the tension with a joke. "Wow, Collins, you make me feel bad for being the man her heart belongs to," his tone laced with possessiveness over me.

"Never," Collins replies, finally tearing his gaze away from me.

"Don't worry, hopefully you'll find the one at our wedding, scheduled to happen soon," Alex continues, turning to face me with a warm smile. "Someone as beautiful inside and out as Hannah. Someone who makes you a better person and wants the best for you. Someone who is always there for you in your worst times."

As he stares deeply into my eyes, I feel the weight of his words wash over me. In that moment, I realize that Alex truly sees me in a way I never knew, and my heart swells with an unfamiliar warmth.

"I hope so too," Collins grits out, his jaw clenched tightly.

Mercifully, the reporters move on to business-related questions, and the event concludes without any further incidents. I silently thank the moon goddess for small mercies.

As Alex and I make our way back to the car, Collins approaches, his expression unreadable. "Did you like what I said about you? I tried my best not to make it too obvious that I desire to have you by my side."

Before I can respond, Alex steps in, his voice firm and unyielding. "This has to stop. She isn't leaving me for you, and you need to get that through your thick head."

"I wasn't talking to you," Collins snaps, his teeth gritted as he moves closer to me. "I was talking to Hannah."

Alex immediately positions himself between us, shielding me from Collins' unwanted advances. "She's my woman and mate, so anything related to her is my fucking business. I will speak for her if I wish to, and there's nothing you can do about it."

"Is that so?" Collins challenges, stepping forward until his chest is nearly pressed against Alex's.

Sensing the situation is about to escalate, I quickly intervene, stepping out from behind Alex and placing myself between the two men. "Collins," I call out, drawing his attention to me.

"Yes, beautiful?" he replies, his entire demeanor shifting as his focus lands on me.

My shoulders slump as I prepare to deliver the blow that will undoubtedly shatter his heart once more. As much as I dislike his current advances toward me, I can't overlook the fact that he's part human, and it must sting for him every time I reject him.

"Collins, you need to stop because Alex is right. I'm not going anywhere, and maybe we could still be friends regardless, but after what happened yesterday, I don't think that's possible."

"But I apologized," he protests, his eyes pleading with me.

"Yes, you did, and I accept your apology," I concede. "But still... after the way you acted, the aggression you displayed, I don't think it's wise for us to be around each other. You could become violent at any moment, and I can't take that risk."

I pause, gathering my thoughts before continuing. "But that's not even the main reason we can't be friends. The truth is, you have feelings for me, and being around each other would only make things harder. It's better if we maintain our distance."

Collins nods slowly, his expression unreadable. "Alright, no problem," he concedes before turning and walking away without another word.

I release a sigh of relief, grateful that he didn't put up more of a fight. As I reach for the car door handle, Alex's hand on my arm stops me in my tracks. I meet his concerned gaze, already dreading the questions I know are coming.

"What happened yesterday?" he asks, his brow furrowed.

"Nothing," I deflect, pulling open the door and sliding into the car. I know he won't let it go that easily, but I'm not ready to rehash the unpleasant encounter just yet.

True to form, Alex presses the issue as he joins me in the car. "The way you spoke about it didn't sound like nothing."

I meet his gaze, silently pleading with him to drop the subject. "Alright, fine. I don't want to talk about it."

For a long moment, he simply stares at me, his expression unreadable. Then, slowly, he reaches out, cradling my face in his warm hands. I can't help but melt into his touch, the exhaustion of this never-ending ordeal weighing heavily on my shoulders.

"Did he hurt you?" Alex asks, his eyes searching mine intently.

I consider lying, but I know he'll see right through it. With a resigned sigh, I confess, "He just gripped my hand too tight. It wasn't serious."

"That fucking bastard!" Alex growls, his hands falling away as he moves to exit the car.

I quickly grab his arm, stopping him in his tracks. "Please, just let it go. This is why I didn't want to tell you."

He exhales slowly, his shoulders slumping as he turns back to face me. "I'm sorry I wasn't there," he murmurs, his eyes filled with remorse.

"It's fine; you couldn't have known he would ambush me during my lunch date with Bee," I assure him, realizing that he must have been berating himself for missing the signs.

As I study his features, it hits me - Alex truly cares for me in a way I never fully grasped until this moment. My heart swells with a newfound appreciation for the man beside me, and I find myself seeing him in a whole new light.

"Please, next time, let me know if something like this happens," he pleads, pulling me into his embrace and wrapping his arms around me.

"I will," I promise, burying my face in his chest and allowing his familiar scent to wash over me, calming the storm of emotions raging within.

I couldn't wait to be back home and put all of today's events behind me.