Chapter 5 🎨

Confined to the annex, Violet was not alone. Along with her, there were eleven other people staying in the small, old building. The duke insisted on having professional attendants for Violet, considering her status as a ducal lady.

In truth, those people trembled at the thought of serving the depraved and wicked noble lady. The annex itself was far from the main mansion, almost like a demotion for them.

Violet briefly sympathized with the people who were forced to work in the old annex because of her.

"...It's more spacious than I expected, though."

Compared to the grand fortress of the duke, the building where Violet would now reside had a simple design. Yet, in Yeon Ha-yoon's eyes, it was quite pleasant.

She enjoyed the quietness of the old annex, to the point where she could hear the soft breaths of the others behind her.

The composition of the eleven other people was as follows:

- A general custodian to manage the building.

- Four maids responsible for cleaning and general upkeep.

- One cook and two kitchen maids to prepare meals.

- One stableman to oversee the stable and manage the horses and carriages.

- One gardener for the garden.

- And one regular maid to serve Violet directly.

Including Violet, a total of twelve people would be living in the small annex for the foreseeable future. The space inside the building was not so small that cleaning would be a burden, so Violet was actually quite satisfied.

She was not given any high-ranking handmaids or attendants. The duke had been reluctant to provide them, as it was the bare minimum that Violet should have, but in the end, confinement was confinement. Therefore, all the employees assigned to her were commoners.

In a way, this marked the end of her aristocratic life.

Considering how she had lived in noble splendor until now, always complaining about the slightest discomfort when attended to by "idiotic commoners," this measure of giving her commoner servants was meant to provoke her into reconsidering her self-imprisonment.

However, Violet had no intention of returning to her status as a ducal lady. Entering the narrow room assigned to her, she voiced no complaints and even stretched out, feeling relaxed.

She had requested art supplies from the duke, and it would take some time for them to arrive. While waiting, she saw this time as a break and decided to rest well.

It was obvious to her that she had no plans to live the same ferocious life as before.

Yeon Ha-yoon sympathized with Violet, but she couldn't deny that Violet had committed many misdeeds.

She could say that Violet had been foolish to act the way she did, but Ha-yoon also understood why Violet had been driven to such actions.

Still, evil was evil.

Rolling over on the hard, stiff bed, Violet laughed as if she had gone mad.

Ah, as long as she didn't have to see those people, she wouldn't grow tired of living like this!

Unfortunately, the peace that Violet found through her self-imprisonment didn't last long. Not even twenty-four hours had passed since the first day.

"Eldest Young Master! Eldest Young Master!"

It was the commotion that woke her up the next morning.

"Bring Violet out immediately."

"A notice of your arrival hadn't been sent beforehand... Milady hasn't woken up yet—"

"Is there a place in my own home that I can't enter? Don't make me laugh. I won't leave until she comes out. Tell her that."

Mikhail's sudden attack left Violet impatiently tousling her hair.

Even though the sun had risen long ago, Violet had been sleeping all this time. Even the maid who was supposed to attend to her couldn't enter the room.

It was only natural that she wouldn't be pleased to see an uninvited visitor.

"First thing in the morning, seriously..."

Well, it was almost lunchtime, so her statement wasn't entirely accurate.

Nevertheless, Violet was forced into action. She did the bare minimum—put on an outer coat over her nightgown and lightly tidied her hair.

The new maid assigned to Violet was at a loss as to what to do in front of the door. Anxious, she quickly followed Violet when she stepped out.

"I didn't know you liked me this much. Coming to visit me so early in the morning."

"Hah, is this still considered early for someone like you?"

"Yes. I just got out of bed, so of course it's early for me. Anyway, I don't see any signs of trouble, so why have you come here?"

"Are you asking because you genuinely don't know?"

As Mikhail retorted, Violet fiddled with her fingertips. The texture of the outer coat over her nightgown felt pleasant.

"...I'm already at this age. It's rude to visit without prior notice. I would appreciate it if you could refrain from doing so again, Eldest Brother."

"What the hell are you planning? What are you going to do to Aileen this time?"

How could someone be so consistent? Violet couldn't decide whether to call him thickheaded or simply brutally honest.

There was a time when she had looked up to him.

Violet nonchalantly smiled at Mikhail, who had suddenly raised his voice.

If she gave the wrong answer here, she might very well get slapped across the cheek.