26

Continent of Axal, Rezok Region, Great Kingdom of Haiza. Year 1810. Winter.

The grayish sky and the smoke from the devastated houses tainted the view of the battlefield. And to think with just a few heavy cannons, the landscape could change so drastically.

The now non-existent forest around the mine had completely vanished, with no more trees or trace of green grass, only limestone rock that abounded in the kilometers of the mountain range and crumbled into white dust with every step, swirling around like rough snowflakes.

So grey was the scene that even blood seemed like black ink, spilled everywhere, as if the inkwell had overturned and stained the white canvas we stood upon.

The cannons and rifles didn't cease their thundering. For every couple of meters that we advanced, a tremendous force struck the ground, lifting more and more of that dust and sending dismembered pieces of entrenched soldiers flying.

I dodged shrapnel while zigzagging among the ruins of the abandoned mining huts, slaughtering any enemy I found within them. I had to relentlessly flank the hidden shooters to make way for the battalion behind me, until finally the two opposing forces came close enough to begin a massive melee battle. Phase 1: Clear both flanks. Completed.

Now it was time to deal with those cannons, situated on the rise at the entrance to the old Rezok mine. It was then necessary to climb the trenches that ran up the hill. Immediately they were flooded by allied and enemy soldiers who crammed the entire area, leaving no space to pass through that great brawl. I leaped over them, as if over an ant canal. Those who tried to stop me, met the edge of my sword, slicing through their hands or necks, whatever was in my way.

Finally, I reached the high ground, where five cannons were still firing relentlessly at the battalion. For every projectile that came out, a new one was swiftly loaded by the gunners, while beside them, a mana user recited a command: 『 Ignis Rupta! . Then a red pictogram appeared from the mouth of the cannon. The bullet shot out with infernal speed and exploded immediately upon hitting the ground.

No one noticed my presence as I began my siege. I attacked the six operators of the first cannon and dismantled it. There were four more left. All the remaining soldiers guarding the other cannons threw themselves at me to maintain their attack position.

I cut through one body after another until I defeated two complete groups of gunners, but it wasn't long before reinforcements appeared behind me. I constantly fought five men at once, surrounded on all sides without a moment's respite, a dance of parry and dodge everywhere.

When I least expected it, a soldier with his sword tried to stab me in the back while I was trying to block two others in front. I didn't have enough space to evade it, so I gritted my teeth and waited for it to come. And it was about to, if it weren't for another blade intervening.

 And it was about to, if it weren't for another blade intervening

Jean: 『 Sorry for the delay! 』

Roef: 『 You truly enjoy last-minute entrances, don't you? 』

Jean: 『 You know me well, friend. 』

Jean cleared the space and we exchanged places, both of us starting to dispatch all those around us, including the guards of the prestidigitator, who fled as soon as he was alone, desperately seeking someone to protect him; then, two soldiers appeared out of nowhere, and he then took refuge behind them, issuing a command that caused them to be surrounded by a red miasma.

They moved faster and hit harder than the others. They thought they had the upper hand, but with one stroke, we pierced through their armor without difficulty. They fell to the ground, and the prestidigitator ran away in fear.

His walk didn't last long, as he clumsily tripped over his own feet. There was no need to chase him. I grabbed him by the neck of the chainmail within his light metal armor and threw him back, where he stumbled over Jean's feet.

Jean: 『 Uh... excuse me, but, are you the captain of the batta-? 』

Prestidigitator: 『 IGNIS!!

Frightened and desperate, he released a fireball at Jean, causing an explosion and emitting a curtain of black smoke that covered his body briefly. He undoubtedly hit him. The man began to laugh with a certain nervousness and satisfaction at the same time, thinking he had incinerated Jean. But once the hot trail dissipated, his smile vanished.

Jean: 『 Ouch! That burns! Be more careful who you throw that at, friend. Anyone else would've been roasted by now. 』

Prestidigitator: 『 IT... IT CAN'T BE!! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!! HOW DID YOU EVADE TH-ARGH! 』

It wasn't the time to prolong the matter. I pierced the prestidigitator's skull to finish the mission. Phase 2: Disable the cannons and the strong enemy; was successfully completed.

Roef: 『 Quit playing the fool, Jean. There's no need to talk to the enemy in battle. 』

Jean: 『 *Sigh* As harsh as ever. 』

Roef: 『 In war, one cannot be soft, and you know it. The moment you lower your guard- 』

Jean: 『 I know, I know! Someone will stab me in the back, right? I'm not as forgetful as you think. 』

The enemy forces ended up being overthrown by our battalion. We had nothing left to do. The battle was over. The cries of victory rang out loud as I contemplated the white snowstorm covering the devastated landscape we had to traverse.

Dozens of bodies were buried under the incessant white dust falling on them. Not only were there armored corpses, but men, women, and even children were covered by the dust, creating a grim and desolate portrait. I covered my nose with my scarf to protect myself from those annoying particles and asked myself one question, one thing that bothered me more than enduring that white soot.

Roef: 『 (What's there to celebrate in this?) 』