Another Threat

I entered the facility with Gally, who had long learnt how to blend in where he wasn't supposed to be. "Keep the helmet on and you'll be fine," he told me. "No one can see your face."

He told me to split from him and track Teresa and Thomas; Newt was doing this from another part of the building.

"I'll be right behind you, go."

I found them and stared at Thomas through his visor. But his scent was there, and Teresa was beside him. We nodded to one another and kept moving.

We were united and came to a backway stairwell which wasn't as grand and bright as the rest of the building. We lifted our visors and Gally went to a control panel and started sawing it open, magnesium sparks flying.

Thomas picked up his walkie talkie. "Frypan, we're in -- how you doing?"

Newt's arms met my waist and he kissed me. "We're nearly there, love."

"This one," Gally said as we looked over his shoulder at a mass of coloured wires. He attached a small device that would send access back to Lawrence: cameras, encrypted data: everything.

"Brenda, what's your status?" Thomas asked into his talkie: she was going to hijack a bus for all the munies we were rescuing and we'd take them out of the city, to the safe haven! I felt a surge of adrenaline just thinking about it; a bright buzz in my stomach. This was finally it!

We pulled our visors over our faces and Teresa directed us to where the munies were being kept. She walked with us, small and quiet, glancing at Thomas from time to time. I couldn't tell whether he was glancing back.

A door flung open in front of us and Gally fired the first soldier with his Launcher, sending him flying backward with a bolt of white electricity spreading through his chest. I could smell his flesh burning beneath his clothes. We fired farther ahead, sending the guards to the ground. And then we went to the doors.

There were eight boys in one room and eight girls in another. And they were children! Surely no older than Chuck would be, they piled out of the rooms and followed us: passing uncertain glances between them. I opened the door for a group of girls our age, but the last door was already open: sheets strewn messily over bunk beds. I stepped inside. Gally held a pistol to one of the men's necks. "The vault; how do I get in?"

The man shook his head. "You can't." Gally dropped his life-exhausted body and moved over to the vault.

The scents in the tiny bedroom were old but there was no doubt that Faelan and Minho had been in here. "What do we do; they're not here?" I could feel the blood pumping in my ears. We were so close...

I leapt over the table in the centre of the room; over the computers, and to Teresa, who I shoved to the ground. "WHERE are they?" She shook her head; she didn't know. "You're good for nothing," I spat.

Gally tossed me a tool to access the computers and started drilling away at the vault.

"They've been taken to the medical wing," Teresa said as we pored over the screens. "That's on the other side of the building."

"OK. Take me to him," Thomas said.

"All right, I'm coming with you," Newt replied as he adjusted his launcher over his shoulder.

"So am I," I said, doing the same.

"No, you have to stay and wait with Gally for the serum," Thomas argued.

"You can't do this alone," we responded, hand in hand.

"Just go," Gally called, "you're wasting time -- I'll get the serum, we'll meet you out back."