chapter 1.

colonel Sink deeply sighed, the picture in a vague file of information sat in front of him on his desk, two scared big, sunken eyes stared at him in plea. the girls face, hollow and depressed was the only image that the photo held. the photograph was slid in between two mainly blank pieces of paper, this made the colonel sigh again, her life was written into sixty words of basic data.

when he had found about the nameless girl, he knew that she would be an astounding asset to the 506th regiment despite her physicality, lack of English and troubled being, yet her knowledge is profound and could be a large favor in regards to the allied forces.

from what he knew about her she had experience with the polish resistance, her brother being a strong suit in the resistance had been feeding her information in code about the truth of the nazis massacre to those in Europe, that was until May 1940 when the nazis had invaded the Netherlands and discovered her intense source of information against them. Sink knew that in result of this that she had not been seen from May 1940 until 4 weeks ago in December 1942, according to the British airborne she had been found by them during her escape from somewhere in Paris.

she had not spoke since her escape, she didn't need to, instead she had written on a small piece paper one word. said piece of paper was currently grasped in Sinks hand the one word saying a thousand, the one word in childish and messy scrawl, the one word 'America'.

she'd be arriving at camp Toccoa in eight hours, the British airborne handing her over to their closest ally, hoping that she would open up about the nazis if she was directed to the place she seemingly needed to be. colonel Sink wasn't sure what to think, he couldn't decline her presence, but that didn't mean he was prepared for her entry, hell how were the men going to react, he'd have to instill orders and rules to the entire regiment to make her feel more welcome.

~

this is good, Diana thought, the further away from Europe she was ensured a clearer mindset, it gave her the opportunity to form a plan to find her MIA brother Antoni. Diana didn't like to think about Antoni's whereabouts because she knew the truth, she wasn't naive, she was aware that he had most likely been enduring the same suffer that she had; yet with the American airborne she had a simmer of a chance to rescue him.

the freezing Georgian air seeped into her prominent bones, she'd experienced worse.

it was early on the morning of January 8th 1943, and as Diana thought back to where she was a year ago, this cold location felt heavenly. hauling her bag, of 2 pairs of army issued boxers, a notebook and a scrunched up photo, over her shoulder, Diana thought about how she had managed to get here. she was born in England in 1922 to a family of loving parents, who had recently moved from their homeland Poland, her older brother Antoni and their two border collie dogs Bess and Pattie. and 21 years later she was standing on American soil weighing almost nothing but anxiety and sadness.

but with a deep breathe that quivered, Diana began to walk. she was wearing a grey tracksuit given to her by the British airborne, which she was currently grateful for as it issued comfort and slight warmth, the material however completely hung off her frame with 2 and a half years of imprisonment and near starvation Diana had lost a severe amount of weight physically and it made her feel even more weak due to her short height.

approaching the gates of camp Toccoa, Diana began to feel the affect of the bitter weather and shivered slightly. she noticed six soldiers were guarding the gates and internally began to panic, she felt as though her voice had been ripped from her a long time ago and had ultimately refused to use it, and after not muttering a single word for 2 and a half years she wasn't going to start here. but thankfully before she reached the interrogation gates, a figure was walking her way, the guards saluted and opened the gates for him.

as he walked through the gates and stood in front of her finally, Diana noticed the sympathetic look on the older mans face, she assumed that he was the leader of the regiment and hoped that she didn't have to explain herself to him.

"good morning, I'm colonel Sink" the man introduced himself in a soft drawl, which Diana took as slightly patronizing as he had pronounced the words in a way that made her think that he thought she didn't understand him. instead of introducing herself verbally, Diana held her bony, dainty, fragile hand out to him and nodded as he connected their hand with an authoritative, faint shake.

"now I may not know much about your situation miss, but I am aware that the 506 infantry is here to support you and your abilities" the colonels voice had a very strong southern American accent to it, Diana noted as they began to walk through the camp ", I have made the decision to place you within 2nd battalion, easy company, 1st platoon. currently the men are enduring their training for war, as will you, you will have a cot in the barracks which all of your necessary clothes and toiletries alike are waiting you" as the colonel kept speaking, Diana suddenly felt turmoiled, the clothes most likely wouldn't fit her and she would have to get changed multiple times a day in front a men who were currently strangers to her ", every other day you will have two trusted men from your company, by your choice of course, to guard the shower whilst you are in it. once a week the medic of easy company will perform a checkup on you to keep track of your health, but it will not be invasive" Diana was brought out of her inner note taking by the colonels voice stopping.

there was about twenty five men stood in formation, four men stood out of form and Diana assumed they were higher up than the rest of the men. as the colonel came to a halt within view of the shivering, straight faced men, Diana looked to the glaring, black haired man at the front as the colonel spoke again "and this is easy company".