Tip 10: deep down, you know

In one week, lot of things could happen

In one week, lot of things could happen. Bad things, like having courbatures for days after a wild dance class ; or saying goodbye to your once best friend, knowing the break could never be totally repaired ; or even cancelling a date to look after your sick baby. But also good things, like randomly getting a free dance class ; or making a crazy and straightforward new friend ; or even getting a job offer.

KPL Transport sent an email to announce I got the position. I was so certain it was dead for me after my sudden feminist episode. But no, I was in. And I was expected to start by the beginning of the following month, giving me less than two weeks to get ready.

I pressed the doorbell of a small villa hidden somewhere in a residential neighborhood. A few minutes later, a woman in her sixties opened the door. Her salt and pepper hair coming out of a headscarf. She was almost as tall as me, but she had way more curves than I did. Behind her small glasses, her eyelids slightly folded as she looked at me.

"Good morning, mum!" I gave her a smile, but she didn't return it. Her focus went directly on Clara, who happily left my arms for hers.

One of the first arrangements I had to do before starting work was Clara's care. And as Samuel would also go to work, none of us would be there. We both agreed on leaving her under my mother's care.

"How's my son in law?" She asked as we sat in the living room.

I rolled my eyes, under the amused look of my father, hidden behind one of his books. We didn't see each other for weeks, and all she cared about was her son in law? She'd always been like that, never directly asking how I was, or what was up in my life. But I knew deep down that she cared about me more than she showed it.

"Fine. He's fine."

"You're taking good care of him, right?" She looked at me with suspicious eyes. "Last time I saw him, he seemed to have lost weight. You should cook good and nourishing food for him. Don't feed him over pasta and rice and your vegetables salad thing, these are empty meals."

"He's old enough to take care of himself," I said in a low voice.

"Did you two fight?" Mum raised an eyebrow. She'd always been able to read through me. Or was it me who was not good at hiding my thoughts?

"No-no! We didn't."

"You did! Why? What happened?"

"Nothing." I didn't want my parents to find out what happened. That was pointless.

"Then stop with that mourning face! One could think you're getting a divorce."

I blinked twice and quickly looked away. Although divorce was not yet on the table, I couldn't help but feel targeted. And it didn't escape mum's sharp eyes.

"You're not getting a divorce, huh?"

Even though he was still holding onto his book, my father was now clearly listening to us. And it made me uncomfortable. I really didn't want my parents to find out what happened.