chapter nine

HALE HATED HAVING VISIONS. 

They always came at the worst possible times. In fact, it was because of a vision that she had ended up in the foster system in the first place. If it hadn't been for that vision, she probably would've been able to have a normal life. As normal as a life any demigod can have. 

Her visions could be very useful though. She saw many important things and because of her visions she was able to prevent lots of deaths. She hadn't been able to prevent any important ones though. She'd never managed to save someone that she actually cared about. 

Her visions could be very useless too. Most of the time, the important bits were shown at the end of the vision but Hale always passed out before she could see those parts. Her visions were just too intense and violent for her to stay conscious the whole time. It was really annoying at times.

Hale still remembered the first time she had a vision. She'd been drinking a glass of water and then suddenly the entire world jolted around her. She didn't remember what exactly the vision had been about, she was pretty sure she passed out before even seeing it, but did remember Luke's face when she woke. He had looked so terrified. Hale never expected to see such an expression on his face, he was the bravest person she knew, especially not when he was looking at her. 

He cried once he realized she was awake and hugged her so hard she felt like she couldn't breathe. When he let her go, she saw that she had blood all over her hands. 

She had only been five years old then. 

The visions didn't stop after that. She had more and more and more and each time, Luke was forced to take care of her. And while he was terrified, Hale could see the fear that shone in his eyes even if he tried to hide, he would smile and reassure her. He would wipe the blood from her face and comfort her not because he was kind but just because that was what older brothers were supposed to do. Hale didn't know what younger sisters were supposed to do but she was certain she had failed at it. 

Hale shook her head. She didn't want to think about this, she might just cry if she did, and instead tried to focus on her vision. 

It had been very different from her previous visions. He saw her. He spoke to her like she was really there and he could see her. It was unsettling to think about. And then there was what she said. It all sounded so familiar. Hauntingly so. 

"Oh," said a voice from the door, "are you awake?" Hale looked up at Rachel who had just entered the room a few moments ago, as silent as a ninja. She sat down on a chair not too far from the bed and smiled at Hale. It was a sheepish sort of smile and Hale could tell that Rachel felt very guilty for what happened to Hale. She should, thought Hale. "So... what was that?" 

Hale shrugged. "It doesn't matter much." Rachel looked at her, her disbelief apparent. "It happens often but I'm completely fine."

"Fine?" echoed Rachel. "I thought you were dying." 

"It happens," said Hale, still nonchalant as ever. She looked around. "Where am I?" 

"You're in the Big House," said Rachel. "Camp offices," she added, after remembering that Hale was new to camp. "We brought you here after you passed out." She looked at Hale. "You said this happens often. How often?" 

"Not as much anymore," said Hale. She leaned back slightly. "Of course, there are still a few things that triggers it." She smiled softly at Rachel. "If I had known you were the Oracle, I would've never come near you." 

Rachel frowned. "You don't like the Oracle?" 

Hale was no point in sugarcoating her words. "No, I don't," said Hale. "The Oracle is partly to blame for my condition."