CHAPTER 2 - A Couple's Trip to Town

The next morning

As Penelope awoke to the soft filtering through the curtains, her gaze naturally drifted to the figure of her husband beside her. Thomas Debling lay there, still lost in the depths of sleep, his features relaxed in peaceful repose. She could not help but admire the strength and grace of his form, the way the morning sunlight danced across his chiseled features, highlighting the rugged lines of his jaw and the gentle curve of his lips.

Feeling a surge of affection welling up within her, Penelope leaned in closer, her heart swelling with love for the man lying bare chested beside her. With a tender touch, she brushed a strand of hair away from his forehead, marveling at the warmth of his skin beneath her fingertips.

"Good morning, my love." She whispered, her voice barely a breath as she leaned in to press a soft kiss against his lips.

Thomas stirred at the gentle touch, his eyes fluttering open to meet hers with a sleepy smile. "Good morning, my darling duchess." He murmured, his voice husky with sleep. "What a pleasant way to wake up."

Penelope returned his smile, her heart full with happiness at the sight of his warm gaze. "I could not resist." She confessed, her voice filled with affection. "You looked so peaceful, I could not help but steal a kiss."

Thomas reached out to draw her closer, wrapping her in his arms as he pressed a lingering kiss to her forehead. "I'm glad you did." He replied softly, his eyes sparkling with love. "There's nowhere else I'd rather be than here with you, my dear wife."

"How did you sleep, my love?" His voice filled with warmth as he reached out to caress her cheek.

Penelope's smile widened at her husband's endearing words. "I slept wonderfully, thank you." She replied with her soft and tender voice. "Especially knowing that I woke up next to you."

Thomas' heart swelled with love at his wife's words, and he pulled her closer, wrapping her in a warm embrace. "I feel the same, my love." He murmured, showering her lips with soft kisses. "Every morning with you is a blessing."

Penelope nestled against Thomas' bare sturdy chest, feeling a sense of contentment wash over her as they shared this intimate moment together. "I could not agree more." She whispered, her voice filled with love for the golden haired man beside her. "I am so grateful to have you by my side, Thomas."

"As I am, Penelope. You could never imagine how thankful I am that you have agreed to become my wife. I feel like the luckiest man in all of England." The new duchess just giggled with Thomas' cheesy lines.

As they lay entwined in each other's embrace, Penelope gently broached the topic that had been on her mind since the dawn of the day.

"Thomas, do you think our plan to go to town today will proceed?" The redhead inquired, her voice tinged with anticipation as she glanced up to see his ocean blue eyes and his handsome face.

Thomas considered her question for a moment, his brow furrowing in thought. The outings they had planned, disguised as a normal couple, held a special significance for both of them. It was their way of staying connected to their constituents and understanding the challenges they faced, while also cherishing moments of normalcy amidst their noble duties.

"I do not see why not, my love." He replied, a faint smile playing at the corner of his lips. "The weather seems fair, and I believe our schedule is clear for the day." He added with his thoughtful expression.

Penelope's eyes brightened at his words, her excitement palpable. "Oh, wonderful!" She exclaimed, a smile spreading across her face. "I do so look forward to our outings together."