GOLGOTHA: PART 1 & 2

Part 1: The Psychic

He could feel the music through his skin and the alcohol running through his veins, but all Alec could focus on was him. James was talking but the chaos of the club was drowning him out. Alec let the walls of his mind blur, and reached out, "Sorry I can't hear a damn thing, what did you say?"

Alec could feel James' thoughts scamper to create a response, unused to telepathic communication. Using all his mental might he managed to convey the concept of piss. It would seem two way telepathic verbal communication was still a touch too difficult for James. "Piss. How eloquently put." Alec gestured vaguely toward the corridor "I think the toilets are down that way and to the right." James slid off the barstool onto his feet, "SEE YOU LATER ALEC-GATER". Pleased with his pun he wobbled his way toward the toilets.

Now Alec was left only to his own thoughts. He could hear the stern disapproving words of his tutor, "A Philosopher is above carnal delights such as these." He momentarily panicked thinking it might have really been the voice of his tutor within his head, before swiftly deciding he didn't care. In fact, he cared so little, he raised two fingers to the bartender to order another round for himself and James. He withdrew a small plastic device from his bag and began drunkenly fumbling with its unresponsive touch screen, trying desperately to pay the bartender. Before Alec could wrangle the device into cooperation James arrived back at the bar and sent the payment through his Membrane Implant.

James shouted over the music, "SO TOUGH BEING A PSYCHIC, CAN'T PAY FOR YOUR OWN DRINKS!" Alec chuckled and psychically responded, "Ah you discovered our secret scheme! Our brains reject our Membranes purely so we can get free drinks from cute boys."

"YOU THINK I'M CUTE?"

"Shut up James."

He did in fact think James was cute. So much so two hours and four drinks later Alec had James pinned against a wall two streets down from the bar. Another hour later they were in bed.

Silver sunlight rudely ended their sleep. Alec woke first, fumbling with his Membrane-Surrogate, trying to catch up on what had transpired in the eight hours he was asleep. As it would turn out quite a lot. He was gone before James awoke.

He sat in the office of Tableman Ulric of the College of Wills, his tutor and superior. Alec was tall, even for a moon-born man. Yet in front of his tutor he felt tiny and frightened.

"Thank you for arriving on time, Philosopher Gater. I appreciate it can be an awkward affair when a breach of conduct is brought up. But it is always good to 'nip it in the bud' early so to speak."

"You spied on me." Alec spat, "You spied on me. How come when I dare suggest an alternate interpretation of the Moralist Code I am looked down upon, but when you openly break it you suffer no repercussions!"

"You would accuse a Tableman of disregarding The Code young Philosopher? Don't you think you find yourself in enough trouble already?" Ulric paused and calmed himself, "No we did not 'spy on you' Alec, but your charge —"

"Arthur?"

"Yes. Mister Chainman did observe you and your - coupling - outside an establishment last night. He has requested you be assigned to a different post, a decision that I concur with. Having a relationship with a charge's son is not only unprofessional but may also alter the council you provide him."

"My coupling is none of Mister Chainman's business, Sir Tableman. James and I have in fact been coupling for the last year, and I have yet to receive any complaint on my ever precious council. And besides, what is this sudden concern over my council; what council have I ever given to him? All I give to him is status, the bragging rights of having a Philosopher under his thumb."