EDEN - Chapter 1

Have you ever woken up from a dream forgetting who you are?

The feeling that you could be anybody in the world, that the possibility of being someone or something else can feel so real, like anything could be possible?

It's a fleeting experience, the result of either an impressionable dream or early-morning delirium.

It lasts only moments before reality hits, the truth of your identity sets back into place.

Then life picks up again, right where you left it.

"Guhhh..."

A young man blinked awake in a chair, reaching his arms out in front of him to stretch. Rolling his neck didn't give him any satisfying cracks, but it still felt good. The seat he was in had padding and back support, but it was hardly a place to fall asleep. As he brought his arms in, he stretched his legs out to relieve the tension in his knees, but he accidentally kicked what was in front of him.

Letting out a pained groan, he blinked a few times and realized that he had struck his slipper-covered feet against a fine wooden office desk. Beneath that he noticed the floor had red carpeting, looking to the side revealed the room to have varnished wooden walls, and above him were a few in-ceiling lights that illuminated the room. There was a wide display case to his left—shelves full of various medals, awards, knives, and even a few vintage pistols. There were also a few framed photos, but most of them were either turned around or face-down.

Finally, he noticed the woman sitting behind the desk he had kicked, glaring at him with her mouth hidden behind her folded hands. She seemed to be around her early to mid twenties in appearance with voluminous blonde hair that flowed down her back. The black jacket over her red tank-top had yellow on the shoulders and the cuffs of the sleeve, making it look like a retro fireman's coat. Out of everything about her, the young man seemed unable to turn away from her dark brown eyes, Not for their color, but for the intensity she was looking at him through her red-framed glasses.

This woman had remained silent this entire time and had done nothing but observe him, and he began to feel increasingly uncomfortable as the seconds ticked by. She was watching him as if waiting for him to say or do something, but he was too freaked out to move. He didn't know where he was or why he was there, so engaging with her seemed to be his only option. He brought a hand up to give her a small wave, but after several seconds of no visual or verbal response, he put his hand back into his lap. Tapping his fingers against his thighs, he thought carefully about what he should say first.

"Am I—" His voice came out funny, sounding different from what he was used to. Putting a hand to his chest, he cleared his throat before speaking again, a little louder this time. "A-Am I in trouble?" Despite being unsatisfied with the pitch and tone of his own voice, at least he got his question out.