Chapter Three

It was almost nine o'clock, so I knew that the rest of the detectives were going to start rolling in one by one. I predicted that they would come in a certain order, usually they would stop by my officer to check in and say hello.

First in is usually our youngest detective here, Victor Acosta. He's twenty-nine and just out of the academy. Don't let his age fool you, he may be young, but he's very wise for his age. If you ask him any question, he'll reply with an exact answer and then some. This lead to him being able to become a detective at such a young age. He may be young, but I am proud to have him on my squad. He has chocolate colored hair complemented with soft, brown eyes. He may have a scrawny looking complexion, but I have seen him take down a couple of bad guys when needed.

Next usually in is usually his partner, Walter Osborne. Osborne is one of our second oldest detective here besides the lieutenant. He's an expert interrogator here at the precinct and never fails to disappoint. He can usually always tell whether a person is guilty or not, and can also tell if a witness is hiding something. I'd like to describe Walter as the "godfather" of the precinct, he's a great friend to everyone. He has dark, black hair and brown eyes to match. He's not as intimidating as the lieutenant, but he can when he needs to be.

After that is Wallace Reynolds who is a six-foot-three African-American detective with black hair and coffee colored eyes. He's our second youngest detective being thirty-five years old. He's an expert with evidence and he's really good and comforting with the victims that come in. Reynolds is definitely the muscles of the squad, but he's also the least intimidating. Not to mention, when he and Osborne tag team when interrogating someone, they can get someone to admit to their crime.

The last to arrive is usually Lauren Segal who is Reynold's partner. She has short, maroon colored hair along with hazel eyes and a sharp detective face. She is not a detective to mess with, none of the detectives on the squad are really. I personally love to partner and work with her when a call comes in. Her strong personality really matched mine and so did her want for justice. I would say that she's my partner in crime, but... yeah.

I looked over at the clock as Victor walked in first, like I predicted.

"Morning, sergeant," he said as he popped his head in my office. I wasn't surprised that he was five minutes early, he was most mornings.

She set her purse down at her desk along with her keys and smiled at me.

"Morning, Detective," I replied with a smile.

Detective Acosta was dressed in semi-formal pants and a blue formal shirt and tie. Over that he hwore a vest which complimented his outfit and the fall weather outside. He carried a some paperwork in his arms and a cardboard holder which held three coffees. He made his way over to my desk and held out one cup to me.

"Oh, Detective, you shouldn't have," I smiled and grabbed the coffee. You can never have enough, I thought to myself.

"Black coffee, just how you like it," his brown eyes lit up as he smiled back at me. He stepped back after I had the coffee in hand.

"Well, thank you very much, Victor."

"No problem," he answered, "I'm going to go drop the other one off with Lieutenant Rivers."

I nodded and he walked out of the room. One by one, the rest of the detectives came in, all in the order that I had predicted. Once eight o' one rolled around, a very rushed, short of breath, Lauren Segal ran into my office.

Before I could say anything she started to explain, "I'm so sorry, sergeant. It's just that my alarm clock didn't go off, and then I tried to get ready, but then there was this-"