Chapter 465: Lugnuts

"Boss! Are we doing it? Are we gonna smash the Salamanders?"

"We're doing nothing of the sorts!" The brutish man barked back. His response surprised everyone who gathered here. "You dolts! I didn't train my Lugnuts to go crazy at the first sign of panic! I feel ashamed you even suggest such a thing!"

"Yeah, but-but-but the rest of Dettie has gone crazy! Why shouldn't we celebrate as well?"

"They're only crazy because those damned rebels are riling everyone up. I don't tolerate any of their people in my territory, and I'm glad I did because it's as quiet as a mouse out here."

Most of the crowd still couldn't accept such an outcome. So far, they helplessly watched on as the news portals broadcasted complete anarchy from the interior of Neron City. They badly wanted to join the fun as the destructive revel spilled out to several districts, except for theirs which was too remote.

"Think about it." Boss Nyerson said and stretched his arms around the workshops lining the streets. "How much sovvies do you think we earn for protecting these bunch of nerds? It's a lot, especially added over time."

"But if we can loot their workshops, we can make off with millions worth of sovvies in fancy gear!"

"Stupid! How would we get rid of them? Do we even have the space to hide all of our loot before can sell them off to the black market? How will we be able to get rid of the tracking devices that they'll surely be hiding?"

The Lugnuts kept trying to weasel Boss Nyerson into letting them go wild, but the strongest of them all remained staunch in the face of temptation.

"Lemme ask you this, how long do you think the rebels and the Brighters will stay?"

That shut everyone up.

"Days. Weeks, maybe, but not months, and there's no chance they'll be here to stay. Once they finally leave, what will happen to the rest? I can tell you now that the Immies will come down with their mechs and investigators and scoop out any troublemaker who helped them out."

"We aren't helping the enemy! We just want to enjoy some of our dues, that's all."

"Don't try to fast talk me! I know what you're up to, and I say you're not getting any of that as long as I'm around!"

Ves listened from the outskirts of the loose crowd as Boss Nyerson blabbed on about his forty years of living on the streets and staying alive while all of his buddies overreached and met their ends. At the heart of it, Ves approved of his clear-headed approach.

Sadly, caution and calm wasn't very conductive for his purposes.

"I don't want to hear any trouble from you boys! We're going to patrol our turf and kick anyone out that even hints at trouble. It's boring work, but mark my words, the Immies will reward us well when they come to save us from the rebels and Brighters."

That sounded very bad for Ves. While he didn't know how far their territory spanned, chances were high the Lugnuts would notice his presence and approach him. Once they had him under their sights, it would be very difficult to stay unnoticed.

As Boss Nyerson started issuing out specific orders, Ves slowly shuffled backwards while he readied the Amastendira. The fancy laser pistol gleamed obnoxiously from the streetlights out in the dark. The weapon had been designed for a noble, not an infiltrator.

Despite the risks, Ves nevertheless took his time to aim the weapon. He might have a bit of practice firing the weapon, but his aim would still be wobbly this far back from his target.

Just as Boss Nyerson spotted the gleam of the pistol aimed at him, Ves fired his weapon. A bright golden beam slashed out and tore past the ear of the big guy.