16. Whispers of Betrayal

Kael 

"You accused me, Aria."

My grip on Aria's arms tightened, fingers pressing into her skin with a mixture of anger and desperation. "And don't you dare say you didn't. I can read your eyes." 

Her eyes flashed with defiance, but also a hint of uncertainty. "I didn't accuse you, Kael. I just..." she started, but I interrupted her with a bitter laugh.

"Just what? You think I'm behind this?" I spat, my frustration boiling over. "Is this what you think of me?"

Her gaze wavered, and for a moment, I saw a flicker of doubt in her eyes. "I... I don't know what to think anymore," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper.

My grip softened slightly, my anger giving way to a pang of hurt. "You don't know?" I echoed, feeling a sense of... betrayal? 

She met my gaze with a mixture of defiance and hurt. "I didn't accuse you, Kael," she countered, her voice equally sharp. "But you can't deny that your people have a history with dark magic."

"And what? That automatically makes me guilty?" my words dripped with bitterness. "You think you know me, Aria? You think you understand the Shadowlands and everyone in it?"

"I never claimed to understand everything," Aria shot back, her own frustration bubbling to the surface. "But I won't turn a blind eye to the truth, either."

My fists clenched at my sides, my jaw tight with pent-up emotion."You stand there, with your self-righteousness, looking down on us like we're beneath you," I spat, my eyes blazing with intensity. "But let me tell you something, Aria. You're not as pure and innocent as you think you are."

"I never claimed to be perfect," she countered, her voice tinged with defiance. "But I won't apologize for trying to do what's right."

My laughter was sharp, a bitter echo in the air between us. "What's right?" I scoffed, my tone laced with scorn. "Your idea of right and wrong isn't the same as ours, Aria. You can't just come in here and judge us based on your own twisted sense of morality."

Her eyes flashed with indignation, her jaw set in a stubborn line. "I'm not judging anyone," she retorted, her voice rising in frustration. "I'm trying to protect my people from whatever darkness threatens to consume us."

"And what about us?" I shot back, my voice tinged with desperation. "Do we not deserve protection too?"

Her voice wavered as she spoke, her frustration evident in her tone. "Maybe it's my fault," she sighed. "I shouldn't have come here."

Her words cut deep, leaving me feeling wounded and vulnerable. "Shouldn't have come here," I echoed, the bitterness evident in my tone. "So you regret coming to me for help?"

Her expression softened, her eyes filled with regret. "No, that's not what I-"

My jaw tensed with anger and more so, hurt. "You think I'm some kind of villain, don't you? Just another Shadowlander with a heart as black as the night itself."

The words hung heavy in the air, a bitter reminder of the divide between us. My chest heaved with my effort to contain my anger, but it spilled forth like a raging inferno, consuming everything in its path. "Well, congratulations, Aria," I spat, my voice raw with emotion. "You got what you wanted. You pushed me away."

With those words, I turned on my heel and stormed away, leaving her standing alone amidst the tangled undergrowth, the echoes of her hurtful words ringing in my ears.

-----------

I sank onto my bed, the weight of frustration and anger pressing down on me like a suffocating blanket. Each breath felt strained, each heartbeat echoing the turmoil raging within me. How could she accuse me like that?

I clenched my fists, the memory of our heated exchange replaying in my mind like a relentless echo. Her words, sharp and accusatory, cut through me like a knife. I couldn't shake the feeling of betrayal, the sting of her doubt searing into my very core.

Frustration gnawed at me as I paced back and forth in my chamber, replaying the events of the full moon ceremony in my mind. Aria's accusations rang hollow in my ears, her trust in Prince Andrews seeming to blind her to any other possibility. How could she so readily condemn me when I had devoted myself to protecting our people?

And as for her stupid Prince Andrews, his conspicuous absence only fueled my hatred for him. While chaos erupted and dark magic tainted the night, he remained nowhere to be found. It was a cowardly move, one that spoke volumes about his character—or lack thereof.

A sudden realization dawned on me, a flicker of suspicion igniting within the depths of my mind.

"Why was he not there?" I muttered to myself, the pieces of the puzzle slowly starting to fall into place. Could it be possible that he had orchestrated the incident to sow discord between our kingdoms?

The more I considered the possibility, the more it seemed to make sense. After all, what better way to destabilize our kingdoms than to incite conflict and distrust from within? 

And if Prince Andrews truly harbored ill intentions, then Aria's presence at the ceremony would serve as the perfect distraction, diverting attention away from his true motives.

Regardless of the truth, one thing was certain: I would not stand idly by while others manipulated our fates. It was time to take action, to uncover the truth behind this dark magic and expose those responsible, no matter where the trail may lead. And if Aria refused to see reason, then so be it. I would search for answers, with or without her support.

"Make the transportation arrangements," I ordered firmly, my mind set on my upcoming journey to the kingdom of Thornstone. However, the guard's response caught me off guard.

"The prince has plans to overstay at the Summer Court, Your Highness," the guard informed me, his tone cautious.

I furrowed my brow in surprise. "Why?" I demanded, my curiosity piqued.

The guard shifted uneasily before responding, "The king thought it was too dangerous to leave at night, Your Highness. He suggested the prince depart in the morning instead."

I weighed the information carefully, a sense of unease settling over me. The thought gnawed at me, festering like a wound that refused to heal. Why did Prince Andrews have to stay overnight at the Summer Court, especially when tensions between our kingdoms were at their peak? 

And why with Aria? The mere idea twisted my gut with a mixture of frustration and suspicion.

"Very well then," I said to the guard. "I'll be visiting Summer Court tomorrow morning."