▪vii: i like me better▪

I could not believe what was happening to me.

The fire that I loved so much was burning me dangerously, scorching my skin with its flames and I was screaming in agony as each spark seared my flesh. I did not know where I was or what was happening, all I knew was that this wasn't my happy place.

I was in hell.

I continued screaming as the fire seared my flesh. I was burning and no matter how loud I cried, there was no one around who could come to my rescue. My whole self was disappearing into the flames and for the first time, I was over powered by fear.

"Zamani!"

I grabbed my sheets tightly with my fists when I heard my name echo in the furnace. Maybe someone was here to help me.

"Zamani!!"

There was a loud bang somewhere. I instantly felt the cold touch of my savior pulling me out of the fire. A loud gasp escaped my mouth as soon as I opened my eyes with force and was met with Orion staring down at me with concern in his eyes.

"Zamani, are you okay?" He questioned, caressing my face.

I swatted his hand away from my face, followed by a cough. "Water, please."

Orion rose from my bed and walked to the desk in my room, as he poured water into the glass cup. He returned with a half filled glass of water and handed it to me.

I collected it from him and chug it down, exhaling as soon as the water damped my dry throat. "What are you doing in my room?"

Orion shrugged. "You were screaming like a mad woman, so I just got concerned and decided to check what was happening to you. Nightmares, huh?"

I nodded. "Yeah, it was crazy."

"Okay, Zam," he ruffled my hair and flashed a smile at me. "Be safe."

I kicked myself mentally for what I was about to do the moment Orion opened my door. "Orion, can you come stay with me a bit?"

His eyes widened and his smile faltered. "I'm sorry, Zam. I've got work to do."

He refused me. 

"Please, I'm scared." My heart throbbed because of my words. I was scared of going back to sleep because I might have another nightmare and no one would pull me out of it.

Orion shook his head. "Just leave your lights on, and you will be fine."

I nodded and allowed him leave without saying another word to him. I was in no position to get upset for this was Orion and this was how he functioned. He could be wicked and unbearable most of the time and I've grown accustomed to it.

I laid down back, using the comforter to cover myself while trying so hard to go back to sleep, but my mind was foggy and thoughts were clouding it. After tossing and turning for minutes, I made a resolve in my heart. I'd rather enter the lion's den tonight in order to sleep than to stay in my room and be awake until morning.

I grabbed my pillow and my phone and left my room. I found myself heading to the basement, trying not to regret my decision of bunking with Orion for the night. I balled my fist and was about to knock when I heard a muffled conversation emanating from the other side of the door.

"I understand, Mrs. Araya. It's just that I don't know how to tell her."

"You know how violent Zamani can be sometimes. Telling her would break her heart more than it's already broken."

"I know. I know. I'll tell Zamani when the time is right."

I could not take it anymore. Why was Orion and my grandmother having a conversation about me in the middle of the night? I was filled with curiosity and it made me burst the door open. "Tell me what?"