Chapter 7: The End is Near

The boys saw everything - how the school gate was closed after some government officials visited them, and then the coming of another one.

"These white trucks just keep coming," Kiko remarked frustratingly.

"Yeah, we see them," Jamie responded softly. "They must be the scientists who will be doing the investigations."

"The journalist in me wants to know what's happening."

"Oh no, Kiko," Bogarts said in disbelief and sighed. "Leave it. We should not be involved in something that might be bad."

"Bogart is right," Tonton agreed. "Let's get going now."

Kiko was hesitant to leave because the curious cat in him keep urging him to know what was really going on. After a moment's thought, he finally gave in. They maneuvered their bikes in silence. From time to time, Jamie attempted to open menial talks, like their favorite superhero characters or their game schedules; still, they always ended up with a heavy quietness.

"Do you think that the school is really safe?" Bogart finally addressed the issue that was bothering them. "My teacher said that the meteor should hit the school, but it did not."

"Yeah," answered Kiko. "Ms. del Mundo also said the same thing. And the scientists arrived to search for fragments or anything from the meteor."

"What if they find some alien life forms and then those things attack us?" Bogart asked worriedly.

"That's impossible!" Jamie barked. "If that is the case, Subangdaku would have been attacked since yesterday. You're just scaring yourself."

"But it would be better if they found something in school," Tonton said coldly. "That way, we will finally know what happened last night."

"Will it not be more exciting if they find an alien?" Bogart remarked and flashed a mischievous grin. "It's interesting to see one."

"You bet," Kiko answered. "Subangdaku would become a hub for alien bounty hunters."

"We can be hunters as well," Jamie said with a grin on his face.

Loudly, the boys chuckled at the idea. The air gently lightened and the four relaxed. Finally, they found it amusing to talk about the event. As they pedaled their bikes, they exchanged wild theories and expectations.

After passing by the haunted house, the roofs of the villagers' modest dwellings loomed from a distance. They used to be welcoming sights for the boys, but for now, they were overshadowed by tents and vehicles parked everywhere. People were also busy all over the streets. The boys felt a little sad.

"The end of the world is near!" a man's hoarse voice boomed near them, disturbing the fleeting reverie in their heads. "The signs have already started appearing. This is just the beginning!"

"Psycho," Kiko whispered.

"I heard you, my child," the man exclaimed. Immediately, he ran towards Kiko and held the handlebars, preventing the bike from moving.

"Let go of my bike!"

"Hey, stopped that!" Jamie ordered him. "Let him go!"

However, the man did not paid heed; instead, he kept shaking Kiko's bike. Impulsively, the three got off their bicycles and rushed towards the man. Bogart and Tonton pushed him away as Jamie tried to loosen his grip on the bars. He must have felt the pressure as he later stepped back and raised both hands, as if in surrender.

"You better not think lightly of these things," he spoke with an air of both fear and authority. "I am speaking the truth. The end is near!"

Several people had seen the incident and some flocked to help the kids, if not to hear news or rumors that they could share.