Chapter 13 : up

"And is there anything I can do to prove to you that my feelings are genuine?"

My voice has started to rise a bit, and I'm feeling more tense in my body.

"Is that what you want? Or are you just going to accuse me of hiding something regardless of what I say?"

"So you're saying that you do actually care about her?"

There's a hint of disbelief in her voice. It's almost like she's starting to wonder if I'm being genuine.

"Then prove it."

"How?"

I raise a brow, my voice still rising as I feel myself getting impatient with her.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Show me how much you care about her."

Her expression grows a little more serious as her tone shifts towards being more demanding.

"Can you be more specific?"

My irritation continues to increase, but I bite my tongue to try and stay calm.

"Do you want me to be more physically affectionate?"

"That would be a good place to start."

Once again, she seems to have anticipated my response, and she immediately responded with a clear answer.

"I can't believe it's that difficult for you to be affectionate with your own girlfriend."

Who said is she is my girlfriend?..

"I am affectionate with her."

I speak with a bit of anger in my voice.

"She means a lot to me, in case you hadn't realized. Do I really need to act all lovey-dovey to prove that I really do care about her?"

"Do you need to act lovey-dovey?"

She stares at me in silence for a couple seconds, considering my words.

"Yes, yes you do. You can't expect someone like me to believe that you do love her with the bland way you act. You need to do more, show more emotion."

"You leave me no choice, then."
I finally lose my cool and speak up.

"You leave me no choice but to indulge your childish demands. Is that what you really want?"

"Then I guess you have no choice but to spoil her and treat her with affection."

She's still serious, but there's a small inkling of a grin at the corner of her mouth.

"Make her feel special."

" ...."

"...."

" are you in love with me, Horikita?"

"What kind of question is that?"
When she asked that, my immediate reaction is annoyance.

"Do you think I'm attracted to you?"
Just the thought is ridiculous enough to make me a little irritated.

"Why are you being so defensive?"

She responds in a tone of annoyance, and I can't help but feel a bit annoyed myself that she's not taking my answer at face value.

"*Because it's a stupid question.*"

My tone is growing more irritated as the conversation continues.

"I have no reason to be attracted to you, or to like you in any way."