Bonus 2

Mateo and I walk down the corridor toward the Premium dormitories at University of Washington. It's not very busy since it's the middle of August. Because we'd be with Vittorio, Sandro and Zio Alessio let the 2 of us come to Seattle without one of my brothers. Gerald drove us from the airport.

"He's in this room," Mateo says, knocking on one of the doors. 

A few moments later, Vittorio answers the door, he has on a pair of khakis and a white button-up underneath a simple blazer. Considering it's August, I'd usually ask if he was sweltering, but we've found ourselves in a particularly cool weather, with it only being 67 degrees with a lot of refreshing air coming past every now and then.

"What's with the pompous get-up?" Mateo says. 

Vittorio doesn't retort sarcastically, "Just finished at an orientation. Ready to go?" He says.

We get in the car and Gerald's first stop is Jess's house. 

"Gerald, would you call for them?" Vittorio says politely.

"No, I'll do it!" I say eagerly, "I haven't seen her parents in a while."

"Alright," Vittorio says and he and Mateo climb out, following me to the door of the beautiful home, it's grand, but not too over the top.

I knock on the door, and a moment later, Jess opens it up excitedly, almost knocking me back in a hug, "Maddie! It's been so long!"

The last time we'd seen each other was in February for our Harvard tour. It was now the August before 10th grade. I hug her back just as tightly and we rock back and forth a while. Jess grabs my hand and pulls me aside, letting in Mateo and Vittorio.

"Hey, I'm Jessica. Welcome to our abode."

Her parents have turned her into the epitome of cordiality and hospitality and so I don't even blink twice at her words, but Vittorio looks a surprise  at her politeness, "Thank you, it's lovely."

"Wicked! Is that vintage?"

Mateo's attention is drawn to an electric guitar on the wall. It belongs to Mr. Lawson, it's more of a collectible than an actual guitar.

"Elvis' own." Mr. and Mrs. Lawson walk out and Mr. Lawson gives me a hug as he answers Mateo, "'Gifted it by the son of Elvis' old manager."

"Maddie!" Mrs. Lawson exclaims, pulling me away from her husband and into a firm hug. She begins fussing over my hair and clothes, "You look wonderful, am I allowed to assume your family has been treating you well then?"

"Yeah" I respond simply, I know that's all she needs to hear, any other response will be drowned out by the rest of her questions that were sure to follow before Mr. Lawson cuts it short. "How have your skating sessions been going?"

"Oh! I'm on an actual team now!" I say.

"Really?!" Jess says excitedly.

"Yup," Mateo brags on my behalf, "She's a center and the best damn player on her team."

"That's wonderful! I still hope you'll pursue figure skating as well, less chance of injury as an ice dancer," Mrs. Lawson suggests.

We all chat for a while. After a bit, the conversation steers towards business, Mr. and Mrs. Lawson own something of a billion dollar company. "Maddie, if you're looking for something to do next summer, we'd love to offer you an internship with the Lawson foundation? We'd love to host you at our home for a few months should you accept." Mrs. Lawson says.

The Lawson foundation is the charity aspect of their corporation. It's directed toward giving opportunities to orphaned and foster children who are living without parents or children with both parents in the military. 

Their Little Princess | ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara