TWENTY-TWO

A Spirit was Summoned

Lily enjoyed her five minutes of driving the vehicle— until Enola shoved her over and took over the role as the driver, much to Lily's protests.

Now, the three of them were driving through an open forest when Enola slowly pulled the automobile to a halt. In front of them were two routes she could take, one back to Enola's home, another to another place.

"Why've we stopped?" Lily asked, leaning over Tewkesbury to glance at Enola. She looked from left to the right. She had a stern look on her face, one that Lily and Tewkesbury didn't like.

"Enola, whatever you're planning..." Tewkesbury warned warily.

"'Nola?" Lily asked.

Finally, Enola made up her mind. "We need to go to Basilwether." she said firmly.

Lily had to double back with wide eyes. "Come again?"

"What?" Tewkesbury shrieked out. The two of them flung their heads to look at Enola with wide eyes. What is this girl thinking?! Lily thought to herself.

"An injustice has occurred," Enola said, starting up the automobile and turning it towards the left. "It's time to right some wrongs." She said. Normally, Lily would be up to any plan Enola schemes, but this time she didn't understand a single thing the brunette was talking about.

"'Nola, are you sure?" she asked again as Enola pulled out an old newspaper from underneath.

"You want a culprit, find the motive." Enola said, passing the newspaper to Tewkesbury and Lily while she focused on driving. The newspaper was titled: DEADLOCK IN LORDS AS VOTE LOOMS. LAST CHANCE FOR CHANGE. Lily furrowed her eyebrows, scanning the pages for anything that would help them.

"I don't understand." Tewkesbury said, sliding the newspaper over to Lily so she'd see better. Now, Lily was starting to understand Enola's plan more and more. She smirked to herself.

"When were you due to be inducted into the Lords?" She asked the boy. He turned to look at her and then Enola. His head swinging side-to-side.

"Imminently." He responded to the two.

"How would you have voted on the reform bill?" Enola interrogated, smirking at Lily for joining her in the questioning.

"The same as my father." He said with a shrug but his eyebrows were furrowed. "I'd be for it."

"Who knew that?" Lily asked again, her face clearing of stress as she found an answer even before Tewkesbury could respond.

"I had these ideas," Tewkesbury said.
Eloise remembered him preaching his ideas to her that night when they jumped out of the train. "But my family were set on me joining the army and going overseas."

"And who stands to gain the estate with your father dead and if you die?" Enola questioned again, a scheming smile blooming on her face.

"My uncle." The boy said, his face full of realisation. "You think this is my uncle's doing?" He asked the two girls.

"Can't you tell?" Lily asked, glancing at the boy with saddened eyes. She was only hoping that Tewkesbury wouldn't be so upset with his Uncle's evil scheming. Well, as far as going upset goes when your family is out to kill you to gain a better title, at least.