69. My Mother-In-Law

Phoenix:

I was fuming, and I almost crashed the damn orb. 

That entitled human! How dare she demand for Lilly's presence? After hurting her so much? No. Fuck no. I didn't trust her, I didn't want to give her the time of day after how she behaved, and by the look Lilly was giving me, I was not gonna like what she was about to say.

"No," I growled when she opened her mouth, stopping her from saying anything. 

"Phoenix..."

"No" I insisted, turning around, not wanting to see her resolve faltering. "She hurt you, Lilly! She insulted and disrespected you. She made you cry, she belittled you, and I would be damned if I let her hurt you again."

I turn around to face her, shaking. Fuck. My job was to protect her and I failed. I know that I said that Lilly's family was hers to deal with and her battle, but I can't stay in the background anymore.

Seeing Lilly cry and stressed made my heart clench painfully. It's been a while since I felt so helpless and useless. Unable to take her pain away.

"Please, Lilly. Don't put yourself in that position again," I pleaded.

She bit her lip, hesitating.

"Phoenix... I know. I'm mad at her, I'm not about to forgive her, but..." she sighed, defeated. "I always imagined having my family on my wedding day and... I wish to have that. I want to hear what she has to say, and if she is not sorry and hurts me again, I'd be done with her for real. She will be a lost cause..." 

I opened my mouth to protest but she added quickly. "You know my dad wouldn't ask me to come if he knew my mom was planning to hurt me again. I trust him."

I swear and curse under my breath, pacing, knowing damn well that I can't say no to her. Her mind knew what her mother did was wrong, and she hated her for it, but her heart longed for her mother. It was an instinct. 

She grew up in a family, she learned that family was important and the base structure of her life. Lilly didn't know a life without her mother in her life. She was used to having her mother around for the important moments, and Lilly was scared about what might entail not having her mother on her wedding day, and in her life. It was a battle she had never had to fight before, and she was going at it blind.

But she was no longer alone. She has more family now. I will be always there for her. I will take her hand and guide her and support her in case of a fallout.

"Fine," I grumbled, annoyed. 

I fold my arms and look away, pissed at myself for my weak resolve.

I feel her warmth enveloping me, her belly pushing against mine and I groan. I fucking loved when she pressed her bump against me.

She bit my arms which were still folded against my chest and I hissed at her. She simply giggled and settled against my chest, biting my chest now, and with a grunt, I enveloped her frame with my arms.

"So annoying..." I whispered.

The brat laughed.

"I can get away with anything because you love me, and you know it" she insisted, kissing my neck.

"Yeah, and I will be the one stuck with the body," I teased and she snorted.

We stayed there in silence, enjoying each other's presence, when I heard her sigh.