Chapter 1: My Great Escape

It was dark. Like, really really dark. It was time to put the plan in action. I sat up on my bed and hopped off. I grabbed my big duffle bag, swinging it over my shoulder. I had most things I needed. Water for days, a card game, books if I get bored of the card game and my teddy to snuggle with. But there was something missing... FOOD!
Wait a second, I haven't introduced myself! My names Kalistos and you're reading my journal. Here I'll recount all the most important things that have happened in my life. Well, to the best I can remember at least. I'll obviously remember all of this though. "My Great Escape" I call it, it's just the time when I escaped the orphanage.
I also haven't told you why I'm escaping so I'll explain pretty quickly. I'm turning eighteen soon so they will kick me out with nothing to my name. If I escape, I can keep my things but with the same fate. That's enough about me now, this bit of my journal is about My Great Escape, so I'll continue that.
I secured the big bag over my shoulder so that it crosses my body. I was planning to go down the stairs, but I realized that the old stairs would creak. They creak LOUD for sure! I picked a safer option, the window. Well, now I think about it, that's not very safe but I had to do what I had to do as to not get caught. I wasn't well liked in the orphanage so if any kid caught me, they would most likely snitch or try to bribe me to allow them to come with me.
I slowly cut the curtain so I could use it to scale down the building. I opened the door to the balcony and secured the curtain like a rope into the railing. I didn't swing or jump like in those action movies, no, I slowly and carefully climbed down to the first floor.
I had tied the knot in a way so that I just had to pull in a way, and it would come undone. Oh, there we go. I went to cut the other curtain and tie the two curtains together to make a long strip of fabric that I'd use to climb to the ground floor. I'll spare you the details because what happened in the orphanage kitchen is way more interesting.
I reached the ground and chose to pack the curtains; they could come in handy. I started heading for the kitchen. The court that we play in during the daytime was empty and so was the hallway that led to the kitchen. It was quite eerie and, well, quite quiet.
I stepped into the kitchen and there, in front of me, stood three people. They definitely weren't from the orphanage. Not child or employee and they were here to steal. We kinda just stood there, frozen and not saying a word... well, until a short, messy ginger-blond haired boy spoke up.
"So, you gonna tell someone or?". As he spoke, he gestured with his hand which was mostly covered with a black fingerless glove. That contrasted well with his pale, rosy skin and brown scruffy jacket. He was wearing a dull red beanie and matching scarf and a white and greenish-gray striped shirt under the jacket. He had funky black boots which needed to be polished but looking at the state of him and the fact he was stealing food from the orphanage, he probably couldn't afford to have them polished. On top of that he had baggy brown pants that were slightly darker than the jacket.
"I won't, but you'll have to do a favor," I knew it was mean but look, if I wanted to survive on the streets, I would bargain. I knew it was a big ask but as far as they knew, if they said no, they'd be caught. The boy I just described exchanged glances with his team that consisted of a tall, skinny man and an average-heighted girl. He finally said something "what's the favor?". "You let me join the little team you have going on here and I won't tell anyone."
They looked at each other again and the girl said something this time, "Fine," and that was it before the group started grabbing food from the shelves. I do the same and stuff it in my spacious bag neatly.
I glance at everyone and smile, they smile back except the lean, black-haired boy. I introduce myself and poke around for more useful items.
This is a start. A good start at that