33 | M + E

Mattia

'Change of plans. Call me asap.' Clay texted me.

I threw my phone on the hotel bed without replying. Instead, I opened my laptop, desperate to see her again. I sat in full anticipation as the video was loading. My leg was moving whilst the rest of my body was stiff. I bit down hard on my teeth, like I was waiting for something to happen, but I did not know what.

"What time did you get in?" My sister entered the frame of the living-room. I glanced at my watch when she asked this question, trying to calculate what time Nuelle must have gotten home if she went straight there after she left the office. It was now almost seven o'clock.

I reached for the food I ordered in, roast beef sandwich with fries. An odd combination for me, but I had to make do. I felt like a stalker, munching on my food as I closely followed her every movement. She had me at the edge of my seat.

"Around one." Nuelle took out the clip that was holding her hair up. Her long locks fell down her back. I expected her to mention me, but she did not.

"Did something happen at work?" Marissa's eyebrows hugged when she looked up from her phone.

"Nope. Quiet morning, actually." She did not even struggle to lie.

Marissa did not respond as she continued on her phone.

"Busy these days, aren't we?" Nuelle leaned against the counter, holding the open bottle of water against her lips as she taunted Marissa.

"It's nothing, really." Marissa playfully rolled her eyes in response.

"I wonder who that might be." Emmanuelle sarcastically voiced when the front doorbell rang.

My sister ignored her again, this time to rush to the front door and answer it. Kline had barely stepped inside of the house when he pulled Marissa towards him, kissing her on the lips. My eyes widened at the sight of them making out.

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

"Fuck," I pushed the laptop further away from me and buried my face in the palm of my hands. "Stupid fuck," I spoke to myself, feeling deep remorse for how I acted towards Nuelle.

"Evening." Kline's voice pulled my attention to the screen again. He and Marissa were now in the same frame as Nuelle and Dom, all in the upstairs living-room. "How did it go?" He asked Nuelle and my heart started to race, thinking that they were about to start talking about me.

"Great! Celeste contacted her and we're having lunch sometime next week." Nuelle shifted in her position and tucked her legs underneath her, both pointing to the right.

"Good, keep me updated!" he replied with his hand still connected to Marissa's. "I'll see what else we can arrange when I'm back home." He turned to my sister, who was showing signs of her impatience.

"Bye!" Nuelle read into her expression and greeted them before they did.

"BYEE!" Marissa waved at her, pulling Kline down the stairs.

When my phone started to ring again, I logged out of the account and closed the laptop. It was Clay. I cracked my knuckles, hesitating to answer the call. There were only so many times that I would be able to ignore him, that I was aware of.

"Listening," I pressed the phone to my ear.

"London is pushed back with one day. You have yourself an extra 24 hours. Use it wisely." The line was cut off before I said anything else. An extra 24 hours to make amends with Nuelle, would that be enough? I doubted it.