Because When I Fuck You, I Want You To Be Wearing That

Who said it and what's the "that"?

Jackson

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I ask, giving Sterling a double take as I bend over to tie my shoelaces.

With a goofy smirk on her face, she wordlessly leans over and thumps the violin that is propped up against my bed.

"Okay," I say with a chuckle. "That still doesn't answer the question though."

"Play something for me," she urges.

"You've heard me play before," I state, picking up the instrument and running my hand across the polished wood.

"Correction," she replies, holding up one finger. "I've listened to you practice but have never experienced the pleasure of listening to a piece that you've selected specifically for me."

I arch my brow, hesitating for a moment before slowly nodding. "Alright," I agree with a smile, already decided on what I shall play. "Let's see if you can recognize this tune."

Nestling the violin in the crook of my neck, I begin to play the first notes of Canon In D, my eyes never leaving Sterling's as I wait for the light of recognition to spark on her face.

Sure enough, she immediately bolts up, her pink lips parting slightly. She gazes at me in awe while my fingers move across the strings with ease, but it's not until I finish playing that she speaks.

"I...you...remembered..." she stutters. "Or was that just a coincidence, and I'm making a complete fool of myself right now?"

I playfully feign innocence as I scratch my head. "Hmm...I don't know what you're referring to," I remark with a grin.

She's instantly on her feet and striding over towards me, her hands on her hips. "Yes, you do," she insists. "That was the music that I would put on whenever Gabby and I played wedding and draped white towels over our heads."

She narrows her eyes. "You used to gripe about how you would go mad if you had to hear that one more time, and I would respond-"

"That I better get used to it because that's the song that you want to play at our wedding," I finish for her. "I know," I say, nodding. "I remember."

With a wistful smile, she shakes her head. "God, no wonder why you didn't want to date me. I was so desperate to marry you even at the age of seven."

Snickering, I grasp her hand and pull her onto my lap. Then gazing up into her ocean blue eyes, I tuck a platinum lock behind her ear. She stares at me with such sincerity that I am instantly racked with remorse.

"Sterling," I whisper. "I'm so sorry for being a jerk to you all those years. You've only ever been kind to me and never deserved the way I behaved towards you."

Her lips quiver just the slightest bit and her eyes glisten, reflecting the overhead light. "But why, Jackson?" she asks softly. "I never understood why you treated me as an outcast."

I wish to give her an honest answer, but the truth evades me. 

Is it simply because she is my younger sister's friend? Annoying by association?

"I don't know," I reply at last, wishing I can give her more, both in answer and emotionally.

But she takes my uncertainty in stride.

With a smile, she gently nudges my forehead. "Sheesh, if you're going to hate me then the least you can do is provide a solid reason," she teases. "Did I use your toothbrush by accident, perhaps? Or eat the last creamsicle that you were saving for dessert?"