Pre-War 7

Pre-War part 7

"You married my daughter?" Katherine questioned causing Olivia, who had been focused on the kids to turn to the two, her eyes going to Lewis who gave her a discreet nod to play along. He was doing this to save her from Davis and anything else that her mother had planned.

"Yes, it's just something that happened." The older Stewart daughter added, "I stopped him from marrying Kathy. I came to realize that I loved him and that I wanted him for myself."

"You know it's funny that you call her your daughter now." Lewis started, "You wanted nothing to do with her until you heard that we got married."

Helen, who was talking to her husband and his brothers which included Olivia's father, James, smiled proudly, she had to hand it to both her cousin and her niece, they both thought very quickly on their feet and could twist things to make things better.

"James, they aren't married, Liv wouldn't do that to you or to the family.' She started seeing the surprise in her brother-in-law's eye turn to anger, "She told us before we boarded the flight about what Katherine was doing to her and Marla. Lewis is just trying to save her. He is pushing her to join the Army Nursing Corps as well."

Furious, James turned to his brother and uncle who had joined them, "You want my 18-year-old daughter to join the Army Nursing Corp? Are you out of your goddamn minds?"

"No," Finn started keeping his eyes on the trio, "You know your daughter just as well as we do, you know she isn't going to want to stay home and do nothing not with her brothers and the men she cares about fighting. And she won't take the money she has rightfully earned from Granddad, and she won't take money from the Nixons.'

"They offered?" James was floored, he knew his twins were close to the Nixons, especially Olivia. But he never thought that they would offer to pay for her education. Helen nodded her head in agreement, she had a conversation with her aunt and uncle while Lewis and Olivia were getting ready for the rehearsal dinner a few nights prior. And Stanhope had expressed his hope that his son would end up with Olivia.

"They were going to offer it to her in person after the dinner, but Kathy struck her." She had all the Stewart men's attention then. 

"That woman raised her hand at Liv?" Michael asked peering around her to look at his niece who was being scooped up into a hug by her twin.

"She has a nice cut on her cheek from the ring.' She motioned to her cheek, "Though she handled herself just fine today. She almost broke her wrist when Kathy went to strike Lewis after she stopped the wedding." 

 James looked at his daughter and then at his sister-in-law, there were a lot of things that they were going to have to talk about.

** "Olivia Stewart!" A voice came from the top of the stairs causing Olivia to pull away from her oldest brother who was inspecting the cut on her cheek. "Faith Anderson!" Olivia returned, moving around her brothers and going up the stairs to hug her friend.

When she had first come back to Charleston after the fiasco with Evie and Bill, she had tried to hold Alice at arm's length, so she didn't get hurt again. But the girl pushed through the walls and was a constant when she was struggling with Fredrick's care. Faith's dark eyes shot to where Lewis was at, hovering behind her friend, like another shadow.