Chapter Thirty-Three: Obsession

"You really think you have it this time?" Professor Jewel leaned over the table, her eyes on the screen, "How long have you been in here it smells like you haven't showered in weeks." The woman waved her hand around in attempts to waft it away.

William lifted his head from the desk, a beard had grown, his eyes were heavy, and he just seemed to be focused on what he was doing, "I've had oxygen tanks set up in several hot spots in this area. No guard, no cameras, just heat sensors." He rubbed the back of his head, "It's too smart for cameras, and it's definitely not going to get away this time."

The woman tilted her head to the side, "Mmm, that's obvious. We haven't caught him on camera since your findings at the junk yard. It's managed to be illusive for months now. I don't understand how that would work, considering the mass infected that roam the area."

William leaned back in his chair before pouring whiskey in a cup of coffee and taking a drink, "I thought about that. I was actually worried myself I would just see constant wanderers. I have all the tanks completely filled. I've been regularly checking them on the monitors. If the bastard decides to take any from any of them, go inside any of those rooms, I'll know he was there. Sage and Jacques both told me unless we have a clear shot at it they aren't going back out. I HAVE to know it's him."

Professor Jewel was picking up trash, all the while looking over William's work, "I will say I'm impressed with your mapping skills. It's quite interesting." The woman listened closely, "Mhmm, as for another trip out, I believe that if you provide the Faction with the Irinaut, it could grant you that ticket to the Solar Sun."

William's eyes widened. He turned his attention directly to Jewel, "What? You mean they really are working on another ship?"

Jewel brought her finger to her lips, "Yes. The Captain of the ship as well as its military wishes to have mine and Professor Reed's documents and discoveries we have found with the infection and the Irinaut species." The brown haired woman clicked her fingernails on the table, "Space is very limited. We only have so many pods we'll be able to build given the limited material, and we could very well have a spot for you."

The man seemed shocked by this. The idea of actually having a ticket off Earth and to the Solar Sun, it was something he never expected, "You really think you can get me out of here?"

Jewel shrugged, "If you keep doing what you are with this, "It's a golden ticket." The woman smiled softly, but it faded, "But they are only going to give you so many chances. You should be careful messing with the Faction. They like to get things right the first time."

William shifted at the mention of the Faction. It wasn't a group he enjoyed, but they ran basically everything. The Faction helped build pods, the Sphere, and even the ships that were sent into space in search of new homes. For William, they may of built walls to protect them, but to him he felt more trapped than anything, "Alright Professor Jewel. If I catch this thing for you with my tools, I want my golden ticket, but I want it for Sage and Jacques as well." He held his hand out, "Is that a deal?"

The woman grimaced. She clasped her hands together for a moment. It seemed she was contemplating it for a moment, "William, it is a deal, but I'm not shaking that hand until you take a shower."

William scoffed, "Come on, shake on it or I turn off all my stuff right now."

Jewel groaned before reaching her hand out to shake his, "Ugh." She quickly pulled her hand back before wiping it over her jacket, "Now, go take a shower."

______

William did as the woman requested, going to take a shower. Truthfully he couldn't remember the last time he showered or even moved from in front of those screens. Sage and Jacques had been keeping to themselves which wasn't a surprise after the last incident. Neither of them were interested in going back out and hadn't wanted to for months. He knew he wasn't going to be able to talk them into it, but the man also knew as soldiers, neither of them could go against the Faction.

The man just stood in the shower. At times images of Osa ran through his head, the infected, all of it. How could she help it? William's hatred for the sentient Irinaut was only growing with each passing day of trying to find him. The man wanted him found, and even more so now that they could possibly escape this planet. He wanted that more than anything.

I will find you.