Preview

FORGIVING YOU TO BE PUBLISHED WITH MAJOR CHANGES

A SMALL PREVIEW:

The words of his mother were running through his mind as he walked to his bedroom. He knocked softly and slowly turned the doorknob. There at the centre of the bed sat Nawal with her forehead resting on her raised knees and her arms around her knees. He slowly took steps toward his bride.

Even before the bed dipped, she sensed his presence in the room. Her heart bled. This was not what she had dreamed of her wedding night. She had thought of spending the night in Daud's arms. Not crying over her fate.

He bent slightly so he could peer at her face, "Nawal?"

She lifted her head, and her swollen teary eyes met his. For many minutes, they stared at each other. Her emotional eyes searched his for some sincerity of his feelings for her. Then she uttered the words she wanted to say the most shattering his happiness.

"Divorce me."

Salman frowned at the first words uttered from his bride's lips.

"Divorce?" he said the word out loud to ensure he had heard it right.

She never blinked and daringly stared back at him, ready to face her fate. But this was a façade, her fluttering heart was beating erratically like the flapping wings of a caged canary bird.

He shut his eyes, and he took a deep breath. Trying to keep calm, he said, "I know you're upset b-"

"Upset?" she scorned with contempt and looked away as more tears filled her eyes. She rapidly blinked back not wanting to show her tears. She didn't want to be weak.

She looked at him again with furious eyes and disdained. "Upset is too nice of a word."

He didn't want to see tears in her eyes. How he wished he could ease this pain. "This is all a shock to you. But you need to understand the turn of events led to this. Daud's dishonesty, the family's honour and then there wasn't much time." He tried to reason with her.

She shook her head and dropped her head on her knees again. Tears now trickled down her nose, soaking the heavily embellished lehenga.

He gently laid his hand on her arm.

She didn't want him near her. "Don't touch me."

Immediately, he let go of her arm and stood up from the bed, distancing himself from her. He ran his hand through his hair.

"Divorce is no solution. Can you imagine your life after divorce? Think about your parents. Your father. And then again, the family's honour."

In defeat her shoulders drooped, her forehead still resting on her knees. She was sobbing. He was right, she knew that. She couldn't think. She just wanted to escape this nightmare.

He knew this wasn't going to be easy. She was a very head strong woman. His mother's words rushed back imploring him to be patient.

"Enough Nawal. Crying will not help you." Grabbing the water bottle from the nightstand, he went down on his hunches. He opened the cap of the bottle and offered, "Here".

For many minutes, she didn't move.

"Nawal please." Pushing the bottle towards her.

She slowly lifted her head and took the bottle from him. Her eyes never left his. She drank greedily and the water spilled down the side of her mouth and throat. She was getting wet, but she didn't care. Nothing mattered now.

She was not going to cower. Not even a single eyelash abated.

After her fill, she gradually put the bottle in his awaiting hand. He placed the bottle back on the nightstand.

Salman eyed her quietly; she had made a mess. There was water spilled on her top. And then she must be uncomfortable with all that she was wearing. The heavy dress, the jewellery, and the makeup. "Why don't you change? You will feel better then."

Shaking her head, she whispered, "Please leave me alone."

He exhaled and took a step back. He whirled and left for the ensuite bathroom.

Closing her eyes, she heaved as tears dripped from her tired and bleak eyes. She didn't want him anywhere near her. She was trapped in a never-ending spiral of sorrow and misery now. She was in no mood to change the wedding dress instead she curled on the far side of the bed, hugging herself and closed her eyes.

Let dreams take over her despair.

Perhaps in her dreams, she will escape from the harshness of reality.

But sleep was far away as tears trickled to her temple and on to the pillow. A silent plea fled her lips.

Ya Allah help me.... please.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I read Forgiving You after 6 years and first time after completing the book. Reading it with fresh eyes made me realise the book needs major changes which is why we see this new scene. Salman's character was very disturbing. Any woman will walk out if a man like Salman mistreated her, which is why we will see a different Salman in the published book. Good news for all TeamSalman perhaps he will be more swoon worthy now.

Also, we see a different Nawal – a stronger and older Nawal. And this time round sparks will fly with a lurking shadow of Daud.

Would love to hear your comments on the new scene. 

Forgiving You will be published on Amazon Kindle in August 2024. Inshaa Allah

For Updates follow me on Instagram: hayatkhan_theauthor

Thank you as always for your immense support.