Chapter 20: Rain

Xavier

The rain fell around me, making me wet but I didn't care seeing as I was already dripping wet.  My eyes were glued on what was in front of me. I didn't know what I was feeling. My wolf was whining and sitting in the farthest  corner of my mind.

Then it happened. My eyes watered as I didn't let my eyes move away from the sight. The sight of my mate's name engraved on a gravestone.

My tears fell as my heart clenched in the most painful way. It was just last week when I was told the news that she passed away from cancer.

At first I did not want to believe what Lily was telling me, until Jayden had to tell me in a calm voice that she indeed was gone.

I never truly knew the feeling of what it feels like to lose a mate. I mean sure I rejected her and moved on, but that didn't mean that I never stopped my heart from loving her and to yearn for her presence.

I felt like someone has ripped my heart out of my body and stuffed a black hole in replacement. Everything was cold to me. I did not feel the same but who was I kidding... I was never the same when she left the pack.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I whispered as I kept reading what was engraved onto her stone. Lifting my head up, I allowed the rain to wash away my tears but it caused more tears to fall.

~Flashback~

I was sitting in my office as usual, going through some paperwork. I wanted to finish so I can go to bed and rest. But i guess the Goddess had other plans for me seeing as Lily barged into my office. Greatly annoying me I have to add.

I snapped my eyes up and growled at her. "Lily you know how I am when someone barges into my room without knocking." I said. I can feel my anger get bigger but it quickly deflated once I noticed her red eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked cautiously. I had a feeling that she got into an argument with Jayden and wants someone to talk it through.
"Did you and Jayden get into a fight?" I asked her again but she still stood there in front of the door. That was when I noticed she was holding onto a piece of paper. I raised my eyebrow up and looked back at her.

"Dead..." was one word she said to me.

I stood up abruptly thinking that she means Jayden was dead. "What do you mean by dead? Is Jayden hurt?" I demanded at her.

I was already shouting at some guards to come into my office when Lily ran up to me and hugged me. I froze at the contact before wrapping my arms around her.

"Jayden is fine..." She whispered into my chest.

"Then why did you say dead? Who is dead?" I asked her as I pulled her away from my body to look at her.

She stared at me with broken eyes and then she was bawling her eyes out. I flinched at the sound and hugged her again. "You should go look at the letter." She said through her sobs.

I nodded and let her go before walking over to pick it up from the ground. That was when I finally knew why she was crying.

My hands trembled as I read what was written on the letter.

Dear whoever reads this,

I am Promise's best friend, Loanne. You might have all seen me as I stayed at your pack for a while to be with her. I am not going to write this out longer, and will just get to the point as to what this letter means.

I am here to inform you all that Promise passed away last night. I knew she would not want me to keep her passing a secret so here I am writing to you all of it. She passed away without any pain, so please do not imagine her in great amount of pain before she passed.