Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Ch. 3, Princess

I gained my feet and lunged away when his hand closed on my foot. I smashed into the forest floor with a flash of pain. I tried to rip my foot away and get back on my feet.

Too slow.

The curly-haired man's weight hit me, and this time the fight was different. His knee dug deep into my back, crushing me to the ground, a terrifying illustration of how much stronger he was. Panic grew inside me, not just of being caught, of worse. I struggled and flailed, my nails scraping on rocks and dirt, but he only pushed harder, until I buckled, my face grinding into the earth.

He pressed harder. The air squeezed out of me.

I wanted to scream for Father, but I was alone, with only the lessons he'd taught me.

I got my elbows under me and tried to roll sideways and throw him. He pressed down harder. Black spots flickered in my vision.

I couldn't breathe.

A heavy hand pressed on my lungs. It was impossible to move, to think.

I was suffocating.

I thrashed, weaker now. Still, his body pressed. I fought harder, until blackness filled the edge of my vision.

"Hey, hey, steady there!" Despite everything, his voice sounded concerned. "You're alright. Just calm down." His weight lifted a fraction.

I sucked in a breath like a drowning man. My lungs felt shallow.

He knocked the wind out of you. You're okay. Breathe!

I laid still, focusing on drawing in breaths.

"That the boy who was following us?" A deep, slow voice came from my left.

"Yeah, no wonder. He looks half starved. Probably just looking for food." This came from the curly-haired man. God, he was heavy.

But through the panic came a single thought.

He didn't know I was a girl.

Maybe I could still play this off.

"Anyone with him?"

"No."

"You think he's part of a clan?"

"Nah, I mean.... look at him."

There was silence and I tensed, feeling the weight of their eyes. I didn't like that I couldn't see them with my face ground into the dirt. Then-

"Jeb, come help me check him for weapons. He had a gun, might have a knife too."

My stomach tightened. What did checking for weapons entail? There were a few things he'd notice if he checked too closely.

I tensed, readying myself for the weight to lift. I filled my lungs, fingers tingling as I prepared for the race of my life.

Instead, powerful hands grabbed my upper arms and shoulders from each side, holding me steady. For a brief moment the weight lifted as the curly-haired man got off. I kicked wildly, making contact with someone and hearing a satisfying "Umph."

The satisfaction didn't last long. Pain exploded across my lower thigh, like a heavy rope swung hard. Another set of hands held my legs now, and I began to shake, blinking back tears.

What sort of pain would come if they found out I was a girl? Hands worked steadily up my leg, squeezing my thigh viciously. I jerked, but the hands kept moving. Maybe he would just search my back? When he paused at my waist, I allowed myself a feeling of hope.

The metallic note of a knife leaving its sheath broke it.

Slicing upwards, the knife cut through my shirt, and cool air swept over my back. I closed my eyes, pretending this was a dream.