The king is dying

A strong smell of insence fills my nose as I walk into the dark gloom of the church. I look up slightly to see a long beam of light shine colour on the people sitting below. I walk as quietly as I can to the front of the church and sit down in a free space, the vicar carries on preaching as if I was nothing but a bit of wind that had creeped through a gap in the door. I look around curiously to see who else is in here with me but as I turn my head the strong wooden door behind us slams open causing me to jump and the vicar to stop talking. I look around and see a young woman walk down the isle. She was wearing a beautiful blue dress but she was close to tears and her hands were shaking. As she got closer I realised that her tear filled eyes were looking straight at me and my heart quickened with dread. When she finally reached my seat she lent down and whispered into my ear,

"The lady Elizabeth desires your presence, my lady." Thank God I think as I realise that it was nothing to do with my father. I thank God quietly and then rise and exit the church by the woman's side. Quietly I shut the door behind me and walk to Heveningham house, all the while not saying a word as the woman in blue sniffles beside me. When I reach the door to Elizabeth's chamber the woman makes a quick curtsey then scurries away. Hesitantly I open the door. I pear my head through and see Elizabeth sitting on her bed still in her nightgown holding a letter in her hand. She looks up as she hears the door open and for a second I see a hint of bereavement in her eyes but only for a split second as she recognises me and finds her courage.

"What has happened?" I ask as I close her chamber door behind me.

"My brother is dead," she said as she handed me the letter to read "And my cousin, lady Jane Grey has been made Queen of England."
I freeze as I try to understand what she had just said. Jane? The plain little girl who had loved nothing but her books, it could not be.

"I don't understand," I said "surely your sister Mary should be made Queen, your father wrote in his will that Mary should be Queen if Edward should die without any heirs."

"Yes but Mary is Catholic whereas Jane is protestant. And I have no doubt that Mary is already preparing her army. Jane will not live long." Elizabeth gets up and walks to the window, she has always been fond of Jane, as children they would play together in the palace gardens but as they got older they had drifted further apart as Elizabeth was taken from court and Jane was forced by her parents not to speak to "the bastard Elizabeth" the last time they saw each other Jane had been visiting for the Christmastide celebrations with her family for what we did not know would be Henry VIII last Christmas on this earth. Jane had been so shy and timid, she had not said much but I remember seeing bruises on her pale shoulder. I do not think her father is a nice man.

"What are you going to do?" I ask as I walk over to her by the window.

"What is there to do?" She replies, "I will stay here until I get word from my sister. If I run to Jane's side and Mary finds out I may be executed with her. I will stay here." I put my arm around her shoulder in a comforting hug as a small tear falls down her cheek.