Chapter 30: Mother and Daughter

Kimmy sat on the bumper of an ambulance as a paramedic expertly wrapped her hands in bandages. Thankfully the cuts weren't very deep and were easily tended to. The Doctor was seated beside her, a comforting arm wrapped around her shoulders. Sherlock was standing to the side with Mycroft, watching as Brooks was forced into the back of an SUV.

When the paramedic finally announced that he was finished and stepped away to talk to one of his coworkers, Kimmy picked up the bowtie—the same one she'd been wearing around her wrist, but had removed so her hands could be tended to—that had been sitting beside her leg. She held it towards the Doctor, saying, "I assume you want this back?" Even though it had been abused the past few days, it was still salvageable.

The Doctor took it from her, a small half-smile tugging at his lips. "Keep it," he replied, taking her wrist in his free hand and looping the battered tie around it.

"What did they say?" Sherlock's low-pitched voice asked as the Doctor secured the bowtie around Kimmy's wrist with a simple knot. Kimmy looked up at the detective, immediately noticing his swollen eye and discolored nose. It looked extremely painful, but if it was Sherlock was doing a good job of not showing it.

Kimmy smiled at him and answered, "They said I don't need stitches, so that's good. They wanted us to go to the hospital, but the Doctor convinced them we didn't need to." She playfully elbowed the Doctor in his side, making him laugh and ruffle her hair in return.

Sherlock smiled at the two before nodding in the direction of the other ambulance. "If you're going to talk to Mary, you should do it now. They won't let her talk them out of taking her to the hospital."

Kimmy nodded and stood up, nervously wiping her hands on her jeans before immediately wincing in pain. Bad idea. Very bad idea. Mary looked up as she approached, greeting her with a kind smile. "Hello."

"Hey," Kimmy replied a little awkwardly. "You okay?"

"Fine, all things considered," Mary answered. "They want me to go to the hospital to see how the baby's handling all this."

Kimmy nodded, shifting her weight from ne foot to the other as she asked, "Boy or girl?"

"Girl," Mary said. "My husband picked her middle name, but I haven't found a good first name yet."

"I'm sure you'll think of something," Kimmy assured her, trying not so smirk.

Mary was silent for a moment, as if thinking, before asking, "What did Mori—Brook, I mean. When did he say your name was?"

"Kimberly."

"That's pretty," Mary commented.

"My mom thought so, too," Kimmy agreed.

Mary nodded at the Doctor, who seemed to be in the middle of a serious conversation with Sherlock. "Who is he? That man talking to Sherlock?"

"He's called the Doctor," Kimmy answered. "I can't tell you why, but he's a very important man."

"Did he do something to make Brook angry?" Mary asked. "He was captured a few hours after I was."

"The Doctor is sometimes too curious for his own good," Kimmy explained. "After he disappeared, I went to Mr. Holmes for help."

"Is he family?"

Kimmy couldn't help but smile as she answered, "He's like the big brother I always wanted."

"Mrs. Watson?" a voice said, making both of them look towards its source. A paramedic was standing nearby, looking like he felt awkward for interrupting their conversation. "We're ready to leave."

Mary nodded at him, then turned to Kimmy and said, "It was nice meeting you, Kimberly."

"It was nice meeting you, too," she replied, feeling tears well behind her eyes. She backed away as the paramedic closed the back doors to the ambulance. When he climbed into the driver's seat, she turned and started walking back to Sherlock and the Doctor.

The Doctor gave her a small smile as she neared them. "You alright?"

Kimmy nodded, blinking away the tears that were threatening to fall. "I'll be okay."

It was obvious that Sherlock could tell she was lying, but he didn't say anything about it. "Mycroft said he would take care of everything," he told her instead. "Yours and the Doctor's true identities will be left out of all official reports. Only the three of us and Mycroft will know who you really are."

"Good," she replied, nodding again.

"Well, if that's all settled," the Doctor cut in, "the TARDIS is waiting for us. We can leave as soon as you're ready, Kim."

"I'm ready," she said.

The Doctor smiled and put an arm around her shoulders, which probably looked awkward because he was so much taller than her, and the two, accompanied by Sherlock, walked to the car that was waiting to take them back to London.