Chapter 1

Rozen looked out the window, trying to grasp any kind of inspiration for the designs of his yet-to-be-made dolls. He wanted to make them 'perfect', the perfect girl, Alice. He had been single for a long time, and he wanted to have a perfect daughter to fill his emptiness inside him. All of his thoughts were disturbed when a bell rung from his front door.

He groaned in frustration, sat up, and walked towards the door.

Rozen was a wealthy man. He was, after all, the greatest doll maker alive at the time. He had a mansion as large as a hotel. He had lots of maids and servants, but his all-time favorite is Laplace, he was indeed a hard-worker and loyal man. Oh, and don't forget, he's quite a trickster. He served well as the second-in-chief at the mansion after Rozen.

He opened the door, revealing a man in a black suit and a cape. He was wearing a hat as well, covering his face and leaving him unidentified. But Rozen knew this man in black; it was his old friend, Koi. He said in his letters he would visit him sooner or later to work on his newest design of his doll. Koi said that he needed help for its body, in which Rozen could easily make. While Koi himself made the clothes and other things.

Rozen asked Koi to take a look of the designs, and he looked quite surprised afterwards. The doll was clad in black; even its hair is black even though it held white details in its clothes.

He asked Koi unsurely, "Are you sure this is how you want the doll to look like? All black?"

"Why yes, I have a very understandable reason of why she's all black." He replied with a calm voice as they got to the workshop insie the mansion.

"Oh...okay then, let's start working on it", Rozen started searching for his tools.

Mr. Koi also started taking in the fabrics and clothes from his bag, "Let's do this," with a determined smile. Rozen smiled back and started doing his work.

.

By the time Rozen had to put the eyes in the head, he realized something. There was something different about the eyes, according to the design paper anyway. the pair of eyes had a circular pattern in them unlike a normal doll's eyes.

He decided to ask Koi, "Hey Koi, have you ever told me anything about orb-like eyes? I don't think so."

Koi, who was putting the final touch of her dress flinched, "Oh, that...Right, I forgot to tell you," he made a sorry face.

Rozen just rolled his eyes, "So what's about it..? I know it's something important."

"Yes, it certainly is. Those eyes can give out varies of meanings," explained Koi "feelings that you can't show with words are reflected in those eyes." He finished.

Koi stood up and went to his room, coming back with two blue eye balls with circular patterns on them. That was the most elegant and beautiful blue Rozen had ever seen in his life of making dolls. He slowly took it from Koi's hands and put it accurately in the eye sockets of the doll.

.

Days had passed, weeks had passed, and finally the time has come to put the two pieces together. Koi put the dress on her after Rozen attached her head on the body, and there she is; a figure of a peaceful sleeping doll. Koi smiled warmly and picked her up in an elegant way.

He held her close and whispered, "Welcome home," he put her back on the chair, "Black Rock Shooter."

Rozen eventually ruined the happy moment, asking, "So that's how you want to call her? Black Rock Shooter?"

"Yes, Roz" Koi answered with an evil grin.

Rozen never liked being called by that, even in his childhood. Koi knew this but he just loved playing around with him. "Rock is fine though, it would be awkward to call her that long." Koi said with a pleasing smile.

"Make sense." Rozen walked out.

Koi followed him out to the garden, "Still wandering about your dolls?" he asked Rozen.

Rozen looked out to the horizon, "Yeah..." he sighed. "I can't seem to get any inspiration"

Koi smiled, "Perhaps I can be help to you," he pointed the rose garden, "look at it; don't you think there's something more to a rose?" Rozen's eyes went wide, Maiden of Roses, yes, that's what they would be. 

"Rozen Maiden," he exclaimed, "I will start sketching their designs right way!" he stormed back inside to his working room.

Koi poked his head from the door, "May I lend you my help for their clothes?"

"Certainly, I would love your help" Rozen said while sketching the designs "I'll call you back when I've finished putting all my thoughts in this design."

Koi nodded, "Okay, but before that," he gestured to his doll "I haven't finished my 'stuff' here..." Rozen blinked, "Very well then, you do that while I do my thing, will you need my assistance?" he asked. 

"Nah, I can do this on my own." Koi waved a hand.

Koi pulled out a round bottle, inside a star-shaped stone in visible. Rozen knew these kinds of stones; it was to give life to the dolls they made. He just stayed silent as Koi took out the mystical stone, carefully putting it into the mouth of the doll called Rock.

"Be a good girl," he smiled "Rock." The little doll then shone brightly and she seemed alive. He then put her in a black suitcase with a silver star on the top. He also inserted a key into the suitcase and a bottle with a small note inside.

It was written like this:

"I am Rock, the first and last doll of the proud Soul Maiden. Soul Maiden is the doll-form of souls that stays in every teenager's heart and helps them lessen their pain – the pain they receive from their life. It will feel like their heart had been stabbed, tore into pieces, but we, souls of the heart, try our best to not let them completely feel it – even if it means being hurt here and there. When they grow up, their heart and defense become stronger, and we are not needed anymore. As for me, I'm a one-of-a-kind soul that has the form of a doll. I protect the heart of one ordinary girl. I am the Maiden of the Night."

"She would be accompanied by Spica, her spirit. She would summon all of what she needs; including her weapons. It would always accompany her, wherever she goes." Koi continued as he started closing the suitcase "Rest well my dear," and the suitcase is closed, "because a huge battle is waiting upon you." He finished coldly.