IX - A Raiding Party

Content Warning: Graphic depiction of violence. 

Cheska

She managed to learn how to walk quicker than she had initially thought. Cee was a great mentor, not to mention encouraging. She didn't miss a single day of practicing with her on top of her watching over them all day and all night, sleeping for just an hour, at Cheska and Lysa's insistence. And it made their pace slow.

The entire time they were traveling, she could feel the connection between the lady and the sellsword but felt a hindrance.

The hindrance being you, she thought.

They were the ones to share the horse, and she could see the pain in Lysa's eyes every time their eyes would accidentally meet, and guilt started to eat its way into her insides.

Cee had always put her first. With the horse, with the camp, even when it came to rationing their food. Cee would always put Cheska first. And every day she could see the pain intensify in Lysa's eyes as guilt gnawed at her. But the lady never complained, never treated her indifferently, or even looked at Cee with hate. She would still gaze at the sellsword with affection.

That morning, Cheska decided to take a plunge in the river as a mermaid, her legs turning into a tail as she went deeper into the water. She dove into the river, feeling the cold embrace around her. Water had always made her feel at home, at least something closer to home. The ocean was better.

At the thought of home, her mind didn't go to Phaelaguis. It went to a certain brunette with ruby eyes. How the two of them had been side by side since the woman was born. She was there when the bells of Creage rang to announce their births. She had watched her as she played by the shore with her twin. She was there when she first saw the girl accidentally set fire to her toy sword.

And when Creage was razed, she did everything to follow the brunette. Luckily, Thelas was surrounded by water, and it was easier to navigate. She didn't need to convince her father that she was going to follow Cee.

Cheska was there beside Cee from the beginning, the same way Phaelaguis stood with Creage.

She wasn't sure if the way she felt towards the sellsword was one of the effects of the old blood pact of their ancestors, but she could feel something between them.

A fire, a kindling Cheska feared that could go out of control and hurt them both.

And hurting Cee was the last thing she would ever do in her life.

I would die for Cee.

"Cheska," a voice called. She knew it was Cee, she could feel her in the water. She swam up and resurfaced. She found the brunette smiling widely at her and she couldn't help but smile back. Despite the cold water, she felt warmth spread throughout her body.

Her unnaturally ruby eyes shone under the rays of the morning sun. She looked... alive. And that smile. That damned smile.

Cheska would do anything to see that smile.

She noticed the woman holding two swords in both her hands. She furrowed her brows in confusion, making the woman's smile wider. She swam near the woman but didn't get out of the water.

"Where did you get those swords?"

"Not important, my princess. The end justifies the means," the woman answered and she hid half her face in the water as she felt herself blush at the way the woman called her. "Come out of the water and follow me."

She swam swiftly to shore and by the time she was near the riverbank, she had turned her tail to legs and slowly walked towards Cee. The woman's eyes grew wide and looked flushed. Her eyes were darting to and fro but nowhere near her.