The Introduction Turbulence

Today is actually the day. For how long have I dreamt of this, and for how long have I imagined walking in these very hallways. All right, Caltech University, probably not enough to make every girl wet herself, but it's kind of a big deal for me. I've worked hard for I-don't-even-know how many years to get where I finally am, Ph.d and all. I picked astrophysics as my chosen field a long time ago. Luckily I had no trouble choosing - space, stars, and planets have always intrigued me. I did some research before moving to Pasadena to learn as much about the university and their astrophysics department as I possibly could. They didn't give me a job right away, though, but instead assigned me to an astrophysicist they believe could use some help.

Backpack on my back, I pay for the food resting on the tray in front of me. Pasta. Not a bad way to start off my career. Well, technically it hasn't started yet - I'm not starting until tomorrow, but I wanted to check out the place and meet the guy I'll be working for beforehand. Rajesh Koothrappali. The canteen is somewhat crowded, but in a nice manner that gives a feel of warmth and passion. A few elderly men seem to be in a heated discussion while two women are chatting at the table behind them. To my right sits a man by himself, enjoying what seems to be a salad. Within a moment he catches my gaze and I find it impolite to simply look away.
"Hewo!" he says, eyeing me. I send him a forced smile, shifting my feet.
"Hello," I say, smiling.
"You new?" he asks, turning his chair slightly, leaning back.
"Yes. Lucille Davenport. I'm starting tomorrow," I reply, quite proud to utter the words.
"Wewcome," he says, shaking my hand. "I'm Bawy Kwipke, pwasma-physicist-twurned-stwing-theowist," he introduces himself. I nod enthusiastically.
"That sounds interesting!" I reply genuinely.
"That's what I do. Wouwd you wike to sit?" he asks, resting his elbows on the table. I'm tempted to say yes, but then remember my purpose.
"I would wove t- love! I would love to, but I'm actually here to see Rajesh Koothrappali," I say. He laughs. I frown.
"Good wuck with that. He's over there," he says, nodding towards the other end of the canteen. My eyes follow his to a vending machine. In front of it is a table with four men at it. One of them appears to be Indian. I nod and turn back to Barry, as I'm guessing is his name.
"Thank you, Dr. Kripke. See you around," I take a deep breath before walking to the table. As I approach it, I slow down, asking: "Dr. Koothrappali?" All four sets of eyes turn to me, causing my own eyes to widen, a bit intimidated by the sudden attention. I look to Dr. Koothrappali whose eyes have widened just as much as mine. A few seconds have suddenly seemed like eternity and I figure that if I don't speak, nobody will. ".. I'm Lucille Davenport. I'll be working for you starting from tomorrow?" I tell him, almost like it was a question. At first he looks confused, but this quickly turns itself into panic.
"You must excuse Raj," the guy opposite him says. He looks skinny, dressed in a blue shirt and turtleneck. "He can't speak to women," he continues, "but why don't you have a seat!" he laughs slightly. I frown again and set down my tray at the end of the table between Dr. Koothrappali and Turtleneck. I grab a chair from another table. I open my mouth to say something I'm not exactly sure of, but am interrupted before I can do so.
"May I point out the problematic element in the situation Raj currently finds himself in," are the words leaving the mouth of a tall gentleman sitting next to Turtleneck. He looks pale and is wearing a The Flash t-shirt which is pretty cool. Everyone kind of looks down at their food before he continues. "If we are to believe what the young woman tells us, she will be working for Raj in the coming time. However, for as long as we've known Raj, he's been unable to speak to women. Alas, he will be doing work with someone he can't talk to," He nods, looking the others in the eyes as if he just solved a major puzzle for them. Dr. Koothrappali, or Raj, looks at Puzzle Solver with eyes shining hatred.
"Thank you, Sheldon," the guy next to Rajesh says. He's wearing glasses and a green-ish jacket.
"You're welcome," this Sheldon replies, digging into his food once more. Honestly, I feel slightly uncomfortable.
"Anyway, as you can see, we're perfectly normal!" Glasses says with a big, sarcastic smile. I laugh, and although I meant it to be genuine, it comes out a little forced and, well, awkward. "I'm sorry, we're not trying to scare you away," he begins again. "At least I don't think so. A-anyway, I'm Leonard, that's Sheldon," he says. "Present!" Sheldon shouts. "... Howard, and as you know, Raj," he explains, pointing to each person as he calls their name. I nod.
"I'm Lucille," I say.
"You said that already," Sheldon interrupts.
"Sheldon!" Leonard half-shouts. Okay. "And you'll be working with Raj? We haven't heard of that, and, judging by his reaction, I'm guessing he hasn't either," Leonard says, looking at Rajesh.
"For Rajesh. I really don't know why he hasn't heard anything, I settled everything with the university last month," I say, puzzled.
"So you're interested in astrophysics?" Howard asks.
"Yes. Always have been. I got my Ph.d a few months ago," I say proudly. A laugh breaks from Sheldon's lips.
"Look at that, Howard! Surrounded by one more doctor. Things just don't go your way, do they," he says, shaking his head joyfully.