Chapter Fifteen

The meeting seemed to last forever. All the details the queen made up I didn't listen to because I had no say in it in the first place. We were brought lunch in the parlor, but I refused to eat. Walden was quick to eat what I was given.

By dinner time, I still wasn't hungry, so I was shown to the bedchamber that the king and queen have given me to be my room for the rest of my life. Great. The room is large, consisting of a huge bed with a canopy covering it. The room is decorated in dark red accents and cream. It's too regal for my taste. I don't suppose I could change it either.

The room is too large, also. It's dark and depressing. It smells weird, too...

Two women have shown me to my room—a woman named Patricia who is the head lady-in-waiting for me, and Anna, a younger, tinier lady-in-waiting. They're nice, but they seem almost robotic, like they've lost all will to live and are motivated simply by the idea of living in such a magnificent place.

Either that or they're married with children.

When I'm all alone (after given instruction as to where I can find everything in here), I find a long-sleeved nightgown in one of the drawers, slip it over with shaking hands, and crawl into the large bed.

I sink down under the covers and stare up at the top of the canopy. This is probably the second most comfortable I've felt all day. I'm finally away from the prying eyes of Walden, but I'm still far away from Alec.

The first most comfortable was when I woke up next to Alec, knowing I was safe with him. I wasn't forced to sleep with him, he treated me with more respect than anyone I've ever known, and... he's my best friend.

I turn onto my side and curl up into a ball, hugging my knees. I've never missed someone so much in my life. Part of it is probably because this is the first night I've ever spent alone.

***

The next morning, Anna takes me to see the physician. The old man is a little strange-looking, with his bulging eyes, crazy white hair, and hooked nose. But he's nice enough. He asks me all these strange questions about my... uh... cycle.

Something tells me this wasn't really about my health, but more about my monthly visit because at the end of the examination, he comes to the devastating conclusion that this is my last day of being fertile for the month.

"I'll alert Prince Walden immediately," the physician says as he bolts from the room before I can protest.

I stand as my heart drops to my stomach.

Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap.

I start pacing back and forth, wondering what on earth is going to happen once the prince finds out today is his last chance until next month to knock me up. First of all, I don't want to have his children. Second of all, I don't want him anywhere near me.

Before the physician can return, I hurry from the room, shut the door, and race down the corridor to find my bedchamber and lock myself away. Forget the chores I have to do according to that stupid little list Anna brought to me this morning. Forget the prince. I have to get out of here.

I sprint around the corner, trying to hold my short dress down. Anna had picked out an emerald green long-sleeved dress for me to wear that stops just below my knees. It's probably the only thing I've actually liked since I got here.

I see my door near the end of the corridor, but before I can take another step, I feel someone grab ahold of my arm and yank me to a stop.

"Now, where are you going?" a stern voice demands.

I turn to face Patricia, her eyes colder than I thought they could ever be. Her hair is tied up in a tight knot on top of her head, which is probably why she's so angry. That's got to hurt...

She continues in a harsh tone, "You have duties today. Next you must eat breakfast with the royal family. Come along."

In defeat, I follow Patricia down to the dining room to meet with my future family. I can't express how much I hate this right now.

Oh, wait, I can. I just tried to run away from my problems. Obviously, that didn't work.

I sit through breakfast totally silent as the queen enthuses about the wedding. All of this is being rushed too quickly. Why the rush?

Because they want me pregnant as soon as possible.

I hate this whole population shortage crap. Maybe if they took down the kingdom walls and allowed us to come and go—

"What do you think, Isabella?"

"Huh?" I look up at the queen's voice directed towards me.

"What do you think of having the reception in the ballroom instead of the terrace? It's just far too cold outside!"

"Oh, uh... sure," I say quietly.

The queen smiles a toothy grin and continues eating whatever the cooks plopped onto our plates. I just push at it with my fork but don't eat it. Even though my stomach gurgles, there's no way I can eat this now. I'd rather starve before I'm forced to sleep with Walden. Let's hope I die before tonight.

After breakfast I'm taken to a dress-fitting for the wedding. I meet the seamstresses, but they don't bother to tell me their names. They were actually pretty snobby as they wrapped me up in cloth and gossiped about the most recent affairs the queen has had with palace guards and nobles around the kingdom. I knew the royal family wasn't perfect, but this just exceeds my expectations. I almost want to laugh at how outrageous all of this is. If the king only knew what his wife were up to...

Scratch that.

He probably knows with all the talk the workers around the palace do.

After I'm fitted into a hideous design of a dress (one which I like to call the "cupcake catastrophe"), I'm taken on an official tour of the palace.

"This is the dining room, which you have already seen, of course," a young man says as I walk with him past the familiar room. "And down this corridor we will eventually arrive at the ballroom. I have heard your wedding reception will take place here, yes?"

I nod slowly. "Yes."

As we walk down the drearily-lit hallway, with its marble flooring and walls, we pass by a group of guards passing the other way. I look at each one to see if they carry the same trait as all the others in the palace—glazed-over eyes and an empty expression. They all have it, except for one.

I feel my heart stop when my eyes meet those of the guard at the end of the single-file line. The familiar blue eyes cause my hands to clench into fists. Pieces of his blonde hair peek out from under the uniformed helmet. He has the same cheekbones, the same jawline, the same eyebrows, the same lips that I've kissed before.

Alec.

His jaw opens as if to say something to me, but he remains silent as he walks further and further away, looking over his left shoulder at me.

Every ounce of me wants to turn around and go after him, but deep inside, I know it's all in my head.

That can't be Alec.

Alec's job is in a warehouse moving large stuff around. Alec wouldn't have been allowed to even set foot on the palace grounds, would he?

But he saw me and recognized me.

How could that not be Alec?

Because you're going insane.

I turn continue following my tour guide down to see the ballroom where my dreams are going to continue to die after my wedding day.