19: Trey

Filler chapter. More to come later.

19: Trey

Our plan to stop the Envisioneers in Washington didn’t exactly go as planned. We arrived in Olympia in two days time. We found that we were dangerously close to running out of money, so we found an abandoned building and slept in the car with the doors locked.

“How are we going to know if they come here now?” Howie asked the next morning.

“I’m not sure,” I’d said. “We’ll probably have to go hang out at restaurants with televisions or something.”

And that’s where we were now: sitting in a little café drinking coffee, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Envisioneers on the news. We had found a couple of books in Howie’s trunk so we could act like students, but at the same time, I can’t shake the feeling that people are wondering why we’re staying so long. You’re just jumpy. Relax, I think to myself.

We stay until closing time. Not a word of interesting news on the television all day long.

“Well that was completely unsuccessful,” Howie muttered as we slunk back to the car.

“We’ll find somewhere else tomorrow. We’ll find them.”

“I’m starting to loose hope, Trey,” Howie says wearily, sinking into the backseat. “We keep failing at everything we try.”

“I know,” I say. “But we’re still determined. And that determination is what’s going to find them.”

Howie nods, but he doesn’t look convinced. He rolls over on his side and mutters goodnight. I climb into the front seat and try to sleep. But I can’t. After a few more minutes of trying, I slip out of the car once more and try walking around. I stuff my hands in my pockets and kick a rock. I lay down underneath an old tree and fold my hands on my stomach so that I can look at the stars.

I don’t really get to see stars in Sacramento. There are too many buildings and lights to see anything. But there would be that one, rare summer night when Linley and I would go lay out on the roof to just look at them. I smile now as I think of her. And then I frown, thinking of what the Envisioneers might have done to her. Have they beaten her? Have they starved her? Is she imprisoned with any of the others? Is she lonely? Is she scared?

I scoff. Linley, scared. Now there’s an idea. Then I think a little more. But she really might be.

“Oh, Lin,” I sigh to no one. “I promise I will find you. I won’t rest until I do.”

I close my eyes, deciding that I’ll be okay to sleep here for the night. Besides, I think Howie and I both need a little space for a while. I try to focus on the sound of my breathing, hoping that it’ll relax me a little more. And then I hear voices. I tense up.

“We’ve really gotta strengthen that medicine,” a female growls. “Keene. As soon as we get back, you start working on that. You got it?”

“Sure thing, Jade.”

My heart begins to race. I know those voices. They’re the voices that took Linley. A million thoughts race through my head at once. Linley. I can follow them. But I can’t. It’s too dangerous. And Howie. But we have to try.

I stand as slowly as can, careful to watch where I’m stepping. The voices start to fade. I hold my breath and jog back towards the car, trying my hardest to be silent. Upon reaching the car, I gently open the door and shake Howie.

“Howie,” I whisper. “Howie, wake up.”

He murmurs. “What is it?”

“They’re here. The Envisioneers are here.”

What?” he whispers loudly, sitting upright and smacking his head on the roof of the car. He groans and rubs the spot that he hit.

“Come on. Quietly. We can figure out where we’re going.”

He nods and gets out of the car. I lead him to the spot where I last heard them. We stop behind the tree, catching sight of their van. A body bag lies at the foot of it, and three people are standing there, two of them arguing.

“We have more than enough now, Jade,” the man, Keene, says.

“I still think we ought to finish the cycle,” she replies.

“You don’t think that someone could’ve picked up on that cycle? They might be targeting us now. We need to get back to Nebraska. We’re done. The Prison Project will be completed within a week or two.”

“Keene-”

“Maybe he’s right, Jade,” the third one pipes up. Another female.

“Did I give you permission to speak, Annie?”

“No, ma’am, I just thought-”

“Well you thought wrong! You have no say in this! You’re just a servant girl! So shut up and keep your opinions to yourself!”

“Y-yes ma’am.”

“Get her in the car,” Jade snaps, pointing to the bag. Keene steps forward and hauls the girl into the trunk. He piles in after Jade and Annie, and they drive off.

“We have to get to Nebraska,” Howie breathes. “We have to get to Nebraska, now.”

“Right behind you,” I whisper.

• • •

It takes us another two days to get to Lincoln, Nebraska.

“There’s no way they operate here. It’s too big,” Howie says.

“You’ve got a point,” I say. “Here, stop at this gas station here. I’ll ask where the nearest small town is.”

“Okay.”

We pull into the station. As Howie fills up the tank, I go inside.

“Excuse me,” I say.

The man at the counter turns around.

“Where is the nearest small town?” I ask.

“That would be Adams,” he says. “It’s about a 30 minute drive from here.”

“Alright, thank you!”

He gives me a weird look, but I ignore it.

“Adams,” I say to Howie as I approach the car. “30 minute drive.”

He nods. We climb back into the car and begin to make for Adams.