Chapter 22

How Ben slept so peacefully through my pacing is beyond me. I went in to the kitchenette and made some tea. Walked to the window watched the sun rise. Back and forth. Back and forth. With only one thing on my mind they found him. How did they find him before us? I could of done more. I should of done more. I looked at Ben, I've been too distracted lately. I'm an Alpha, when did I have so much time on my hands to sleep around with my mate? Never. The answer is when I found my mate that's all I've had time for. I haven't been going to school or my training session. I haven't checked on my pack. I haven't been an Alpha. I've been a doe eyed girl preoccupied with a man. I punched my dresser angry with myself. Ben stirred. I paused and wiped an invisible tear from my face. I picked up the little wooden wolf and walked out.

"You were wrong Mikey. This wolf isn't magical it's a curse." I walked down the stairs. "My mate isn't peace and happiness you were." When I reached outside I ran to my old home by the creek. I walked into the house and for the first time in thirteen years I mourned. For my best friend I loved like a brother. For my parents I lost at a young age. For child who I should of been but couldn't. I cried harder then I thought possible. I shook with every tear. I picked up the photo of my parents that laid on the coffee table.

"How come you were able to be so happy with each other?" I asked the photo waiting for the reply I'll never get. "Why is it so hard for?" I cried some more I didn't even hear the door open from behind me.

"He'd hate seeing you like this." I jumped at the sudden voice and quickly wiped my tears before turning around to see Mikey's little brother standing behind me.

"How did you find me?" I whispered.

"Mikey told me if anything were to happen to him to come here. He said eventually you'd come." He didn't move closer just quietly watched his Alpha fall apart.

"He always knew what I'd do before I did." I said sadly trying to smile but not being able to form the movements.

"Well he loved you. More then he'd let on. Though I guess your both the same in that way." He slowly sat down where he stood. "He was in love with you for so long. We were surprised when he came home and told us you weren't his mate." I looked at him in surprise. I knew he cared about me and thought I was his mate like I thought he was mine, but never did I think he was in love with me.

"Why didn't he tell me?"

"Probably the same reason you never told him. I mean why else would you be so broken up over his death? Why else would you of been so angry with him when he tried to set you up all those times?" I thought over what he said and realized that I had loved Mikey more then just a brother. I just forgot and let it go when I found out he wasn't my mate. It wasn't like I had time for boyfriends anyways and he was my Beta what would of happened if he found his mate?

"When did you get so wise Eli?" I laughed.

"When my brother taught me to be." I stated and smiled sadly at each other.

"Your brother was one of a kind."

"Yes he was. You know what he use to say about mates?"

"They'd bring you peace and happiness?" I laughed looking down at the stupid little wolf in my hands.

"Yes, but did he tell you the rest?" I shook my head in confusion." He use to say but that doesn't mean they brought you love. That's why we have a choice to reject them, because only you can choose who you loved."

"He never told me that." I whispered thoughtfully.

"Yea well mom would tell him that's cause he never found his mate yet." I laughed at that. "But I can't help but think he was on to something when I look at you and our Luna. I mean I can tell you happy with him and that he is good for you to be around. He makes you not be an Alpha all the time but you don't light up around him like you did with Mikey, but I'm only fifteen what do I know?" And with that he left me with my thoughts.

I looked down at the photo in my hands and the little wolf, and for the first time that morning I smiled.

.......

POV BEN

I woke up that morning to discover Victoria was gone. I started to panic til I saw Eli walk in and tell me she was fine, that he had just finished talking with her about pack business. I waved Andrew down and we went into the library. It took hours to decipher one page the wording was so old and even then at times it was hard to understand.

" So Faithful Pack or Innocent Pack today?" Andrew questioned.

"I think we got every thing we can from the Faithful. Unless you found a book I didn't?" He shook his head so we pulled out the last book we could find before the war. When we had the page deciphered. Andrew read it as I continued to the next page. After the first few lines I heard Andrew gasp making me look at him. He was staring at me in shock.

"What?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Nothing.... It doesn't matter just keep going." I gave him one final look but he was rereading the page. We got a few more pages done. As I went to reach out to read them the links opened up.

'Hey everyone the football game is getting ready to start. I hope to see you all their.' Victoria's voice filtered though my head. Andrew cussed grabbed the papers and took off before I could stop him.

.........

POV Victoria

I was standing in the field with my gear on. Waiting impatiently. "Where the heck is our Beta?! He is making us look bad!"

"Hun you could never look bad." Luke said smacking my ass. I heard a growl in the background

"You sure we can't tap Kyle in? He sounds up to it to me."

"Hun he is always up when I'm around." He turned to blow a kiss to his mate. "But I won't be able to focus if he's down here. Not that I focus much now with you all hot and bothered."

I threw my head back and laughed "Alpha Silver is your team ready yet?" Alpha Phillips called.

"I'm here!" I heard Andres call running from around the bleachers.

"Finally"  I muttered. We all got in position and the ref. blew the whistle.