Chapter 14

O'Neil stood on top of the corporate headquarters in Downtown. It was the last stronghold. The final territory his Kingdom ruled over. Though it was vast, it wasn't enough. He was determined to rebuild what he had lost.

Rebel strikes came often and damaged the buildings. It was fire raining from the skies above. His men never showed fear. Never backed away from the fight. They were iron men full of strength and power. This was the advantage to his world.

There was fear in the eyes of the enemy. He could inflict terror inside of them. This, he discovered, brought him joy. It wasn't often he was able to fight a real adversary. For as terrible as the war was for him, he enjoyed the challenge.

In the days when fighting ceased, he had taken to new projects in Downtown Wonder City. The greatest of them all was a large monument in the distance. It was a statue of an angel whose wings covered each side of the city. Her halo hovered close to the ceiling, but didn't touch it. Beneath her was a river, which was filled by a stream that came from her hands. O'Neil designed her as a symbol that the city will always live on. From her hands came the water that all people in the city would survive on. Even the rebels.

The angel sat on top of a small island and watched over the city. O'Neil stood tall when he looked at her. She was the embodiment of hope. A reason to fight on. A silent representative of what the city is supposed to be. A final beacon of hope for a better society.

Throughout the streets of Downtown, soldiers trained relentlessly. It was rare to see his men not performing drills, or training. Instructors pushed them to their limits. Soon, it would be time to retake Uptown and crush the rebellion that had sprung up under his rule.

O'Neil saw the wickedness that had risen. It was deceitful, and evil above all other things. It was an abomination in a place of perfection. He didn't full understand his enemy. That would change.

Across from the corporation's headquarters was a tall, circular tower called "Regency Memorial Hospital." On the sixth level were three men. Each had been tied to a gurney. There were members of the rebellion, spies sent from above to uncover O'Neil's tactics. This much he knew. Maybe, he thought, he might be able to make something useful out of them.