Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Akkadi and Vekko stood amid the Kini on their home planet. They were surrounded by roughly dressed men that reached Akkadi’s sternum in height and who were each armed with enough weapons to take out one of Urik’s strong holds. The short, bearded men were shouting loudly at the two Nakis at the center of the large ring formed around them.

 Their reception was less than pleasant. After a few grader shots and the threat of blowing their Naki ship out of the sky, the Kini ordered them to land. Akkadi had stopped trying to rationalize with them from afar and obeyed, hoping to find them much more rational in person. And now, they waited for the Kini King, Mackle.

“Previous interactions with Nakis haven’t ended well,” Vekko said quietly. “Their sense of logic is inferior, and they are quick to attack if insulted and even quicker to take insult.”

“I understand,” Akkadi replied. “We are here to negotiate. They want Naki help. We’ll see how willing they are to talk.” He sensed his cousin’s unease. Vekko was too disciplined to show it, and Akkadi remained rigidly at attention.

A Kini half a head taller than the rest pushed his way through the crowd and broke into the circle where Akkadi and Vekko stood.

“Welcome, Nakis,” he bellowed. “I am Mackle, the Kini King.”

Akkadi bowed low, as did Vekko. The king was little better dressed than his men in worn clothing and a bushy, unkempt beard.

“It is our honor to be greeted by you, my king,” Akkadi replied. “We have come to –”

“Did you bring weapons?” The Kini king looked expectant.

“We did not. Nakis do not carry weapons on diplomatic missions.”

“How will you fight?”

“We have no intention of fighting, my king,” Vekko answered. “We are here to –”

“Kini do not negotiate with those who do not fight!” Mackle declared, pounding on his chest. The men around him roared in agreement.

Akkadi glanced around, unaffected. “My king, you expressed an interest in our ship building capabilities. Naki ships are the fastest and safest in the galaxy.”

“They are,” Mackle agreed. “But Kini deal with no one who does not fight.”

“We fight our battles in space.”

Mackle considered. “No, that is not how we negotiate.” He turned away and waved them forward. “Come. Choose your weapon. We have many.”

Akkadi stepped forward, motioning for Vekko to remain near the ship. He trailed the Kini king.

“We do not fight,” he said more firmly. “Our ships are what we are here to discuss.”

“I heard Nakis have no emotions.”

“This is incorrect. We have emotions. We rely on logic rather than feeling to make decisions.”

The Kini king didn’t seem interested. He stopped in front of a large trunk and flung it open, indicating the weapons within.

“We are not here to fight you,” Akkadi repeated. “If you wish a war with the Naki, why did you contact us for ships?”

“This is not war!” Kini laughed. “This is a test, Naki-prince. How do we trust a man who has no emotions? No loyalty? No courage?”

“Nakis express themselves differently,” Akkadi replied. “We have loyalty of the highest degree and are courageous in our battles.”

“But you won’t fight.”