Preparation

While she programs the sensors for different specific tasks, Mil ponders the use of the word routine in combination with a status report during an approach to an unknown planet. She doubts there is anything that can be called routine at this stage of their mission.

Sure, QRX-57 was their designated destination from the beginning, chosen by Space Corp because of the promising dataset picked up by long-distance scans. But they are the first ship sent to this sector, the first team to get close enough to the planet to collect visuals. This fact alone should allow for a bit more than a routine report in Mil's eyes.
She shrugs and dismisses the futile thoughts. Time to concentrate on the incoming readings from the planetary surface instead.

The atmosphere seems almost perfect. From a human point of view, its breathable and contains only minor traces of pollutants: measurably less than certain cities on earth have to cope with, despite their fancy air cleaning programs.

Absolute humidity is very high, different measurements confirm almost 100 % at most points in reach. This takes Mil by surprise: On the screen, the planet doesn't show major bodies of water. At first sight, mountain ranges are missing too.

Andrej, following the scans from his own station, frowns in thought. "No oceans, no mountains. Is it possible the planet lacks tectonic activities?"

"I'm a biologist, not a geologist. But you're right, I was wondering the same. Yet there must be enough water to sustain an almost closed vegetation cover." Mill zooms in to a part of the planet's northern hemisphere on her screen. "And see the white wisps there? These are clouds. The swirls indicate wind on the surface if I recall our meteorology briefing."

"Right. And another thing." Andrej points to the main screen. "The polar icecaps are almost nonexistent, and the climate shows subtropical characteristics in most latitudes. I think you will get your hands full down there, Mil. Isn't botany your speciality?"

"Xenobotany, to use the correct term. I'm an exotic breed." She smiles in happy anticipation before she turns back to her job. Andrej chuckles and delves into the study of the measurements. Mil realises he will have a hard time locating an adequate landing site in all that dense greenery.

Some hours later, Dray enters the operations centre. She is soaked in sweat, and a dark streak mars her left cheek, probably hydraulic fluid.

"Took me forever to check the atmospheric shuttle and rescue pods." With a sigh, she drops into the navigation chair. "They all are in order, checked, re-checked, and lubricated. Well, at least the release mechanism. No surprises possible from that side. Even Carlos might be half-happy with the job. Any news from our personal green paradise?"

Andrej leans back and stretches his cramped back muscles. Like Mil, he spent hours working in the same position, collecting data, running statistical analysis, and cobbling together preliminary reports on everything from atmospheric components to weather patterns.

"It looks promising, I'd say." He rubs his eyes. "The details will probably remain comprehensible for Mil only. But we should be able to breathe the air down there, and that's a small wonder. To land will be a challenge though."

"Why? The terrain looks stable." Dray frowns.

"It might prove an illusion. We will have to check it when we get closer." For once, Mil is sure in her knowledge. "To land, we must cut down some of the giant trees, or whatever the things covering the surface are called. This, or we drop the ship on an icecap. How are Koshi and Carlos? Did they locate the engine problem?"

"Still crawling all over the machine. I think they are nearly done with taking it apart and putting it together for the second or third time." The pilot stifles a yawn. "By the way, Koshi wants us to take turns with sleeping. He counts on a rested crew when we start approaching in fifteen hours."

Mil studies her colleagues' faces. She is occupied with the draft of her report and collecting relevant data to describe the biosphere. If possible, she doesn't want to interrupt her work. "I'm up to something, here. Besides, I'm on a roll. The two of you look tired. Please go have a rest, lay down or whatever. I'll call you if I discover something important, Andrej."

The astrophysicist nods. His spine audibly cracks when he stands up and stretches his back. "Good, my old bones won't mind a break. Shall I bring you some coffee first, Mil?"

She accepts the offer with a smile before she turns back to her data. But she can't help registering Dray's barely suppressed moan as she heaves herself out of the chair. The pilot didn't take it easy with the shuttle maintenance.

"Right. I'll head for the shower and be in my cot. Call me if you need something, Milena. I can also replace Koshi if he wants to take a break." Dray's offer sounds sincere.

Mil nods. "I'll tell him if he pops in."

Deliberately, she ignores the hated form of her given name. It's not worth taking offence on something the pilot might do without evil thought. She turns back to her screen, wondering if her relationship with Dray might finally turn to the better. At last, they both can show off their skills and are about to reach the goal they worked towards so long.