NINE

Chapter Nine

The fae around the room were more concerned with the potential of being splashed by the thick substance than the faery who was uncontrollably spewing. They shrieked in horror, ignoring the royal guards that were asking the nobles to sit down, to remain calm. None listened, instead shouting about poison in their food or the presence of toxins in the room. Someone on her table murmured that it could be the Somnus, and Pasiphae had to refrain from telling them that this was not what the disease looked like.

Through the chaos, Pasiphae's attention caught on a stillness. Seth was watching her pointedly and patiently, and when their eyes met, he pointed to an exit at the back of the hall.

Seth slipped away without giving her a moment of consideration. She sighed, and stood as well, using her elbows to ease her way through the crowd.

The sick man gave a sudden incoherent shout, his arm lashing out. As he flung more of the black goo onto those nearby, all the fae that he had splashed started convulsing and vomiting as well.

Pasiphae grimaced, meeting Seth by the far exit where he was waiting.

"What's going on?"

"A fast-acting virus. It'll stop being contagious within the hour, don't worry."

"And where are we going?"

With the commotion, the hallway was clear of guards, or so they hoped, anyway. Seth pulled Pasiphae along, forcing her to work her shorter legs at double speed. Pasiphae held her arms stiff, uncomfortable with the contact.

"The bathroom."

"Huh," Pasiphae said. "I didn't know you needed me to lie you into a bathroom. Do the fae only allow a ten-second peeing limit?"

"Funny." He didn't sound humoured. "I'll have you know—"

He broke off with a sharp inhale, backing away so hastily all his hair whipped into his face. Pasiphae dropped into an immediate crouch, listening.

She could pick up on the murmuring of nearby voices but Pasiphae couldn't make out any clear words.

"Where are they?" she whispered up to Seth.

Seth remained standing, his face pressed up against the wall. Slowly he peered over the corner.

"There's no one there," he whispered back, "they must be a few hallways over."

Pasiphae inched closer, poking her head over the corner too. "Can you tell what's going on?"

"Some argument," Seth whispered, frowning. "I think between a guard and a worker. It's not going to end well, stay put."

She hadn't been planning on moving anyway. Pasiphae shifted on her feet, ignoring the ache that was creeping up along her thighs. She put her hands down for support, only to touch a strange mould on the floor. Grimacing, she drew her arms back and leaned against the wall.

The cool surface was almost calming, but then—

"No!"

Following the scream, there was the unmistakable sound of something splattering.

Pasiphae jerked upright, hissing, "What was that?"

Seth reached out and made an attempt to draw her back by the shoulder, but she kept her head over the corner.

A guard strolled through the other end of the hallway, clutching something large in his hand that swung with momentum.

It was dripping a dark, thick liquid onto the carpet.