The Strength Within

The door flew open and Thorsen said, "The rest of the party's finally showed up," with a smile in a condescending tone.

The three of them froze lost for words and stared at him.

"Oh, come now. Your little friend has been providing us with the entertainment up to now. But, I think it's time for the main act; don't you, Alex." Thorsen opened the door wider to reveal Mormo holding Ella up with a knife at her throat. Her face covered in cuts, dripping with blood.

"Ella!" Julia screamed. "Let her go. I'll go with you, Thorsen, just don't hurt my friends."

"Now that's just not possible, Julia. You crossed me with that little stunt you and Damien pulled. By the way he's being punished and now it's your turn," Thorsen replied.

"If you think we're going to just give up and let you kill us you have another think coming," Alex spat at Thorsen. The hatred was radiating off of him.

This made Thorsen's smile grow. He looked as if he was revelling in Alex's hatred. Drinking it in and feeding off it. "Oh, but I think that's exactly what you will do," he snapped his fingers.

Mormo took the knife and plunged it into Ella's shoulder. She let out a scream and Mormo let her drop to the floor. Then picking up a sword he pointed it at her heart.

"Stop! Please don't kill her. We'll do whatever you want," Julia said, wrenching her hand out of Alex's hold and launching forward.

"Very good. I'm happy that one of you knows their place. Now, you boys had better drop those weapons and join us," Thorsen said in a triumphant tone.

Julia ran to Ella and glared at Mormo. Thorsen followed Julia and yanked her away from her friend pulling her to her feet. He backhanded her so hard it sent her flying. She slammed into a wall causing the wooden panelling to bow inwards.

"That is for running off." Thorsen pulled the dagger out of Ella's shoulder, pricked his finger and let a few drops of his blood fall into her mouth. "There, now she won't die. Yet."

Alex started to run over to Julia but Thorsen clicked his tongue. "I don't think so, boy. You and I have some unfinished business."

Alex hissed at him, baring his fangs. "I will rip your head off your shoulders."

"That's the spirit. However, I think you will be joining your friend." Thorsen pointed to the coffin where Damien was laying with the sword still in his heart.

As Julia stood up, she looked at Damien. Someone had taken the short sword out of his back, when they put Damien in the coffin, and then driven it back into his chest. He looked peaceful, as if he were sleeping. Tears pooled in her eyes and she had to remind herself that he wasn't dead he was only in a state of hibernation.

"Mormo, kill the dog and if my dear niece so much as tries to escape from this room kill the shifter. But I'm warning you, if you try to kill Julia again I won't be forgiving." He looked over at Alex. "This room is much too crowded don't you think, Prince? Why don't we take our fight to the drawing room?" Thorsen ran out the door in a flash with Alex hot on his heels.

Both Julia and Kuro had let their guards down as they watched Alex fly out of the room. Mormo had been silently inching his way toward Kuro and took that opportunity to launch his attack. He raised his sword above his head in a sweeping move and brought it down fast and hard aiming for Kuro.

Kuro's lighting fast reflexes helped him jump out of the way. He ran for the door to try to retrieve the daggers. Mormo swished his arm in the air and slammed the door shut, cutting Kuro off.

"You like it rough?" Kuro said with a laugh. "That's fine by me, you pathetic excuse for a warlock. This is gonna be fun," And he burst into his full inugami form. His clothes and shoes were torn to shreds as his enormous Canis-body ripped out of them.

Julia dragged Ella's limp body out of the way as she watched Kuro circle Mormo. Kuro was huge; all black except for his two white tipped ears, his obsidian fur sparkled under the candlelight. Every time Julia was fortunate enough to behold the majestic beauty of his full inugami form it took her breath away. His yellow eyes glowed with a raging fire and she knew he would not hold back.

Kuro lunged for Mormo but the warlock dodged the attack. Mormo landed a solid kick to the dog's ribs that made Kuro yelp in pain. Julia's breath hitched, and she held Ella closer.

Julia knew she had to help and lifted her hand trying to draw power to it. She had listened to Ren explain how to summon her power into an orb a million times and tried to put what he taught her into practice now. Concentrating so hard beads of sweat started to form; she tried to draw her power out, but nothing came. The harder she tried the less it seemed to work. Letting out a frustrated grunt she let her hand drop.

Julia didn't get it; she'd been able to set the bed and the walls on fire with her magic when Thorsen pissed her off. Yet now, when her friends needed her, the most she could do nothing. She cursed herself for being less than useless.

Mormo shot off orb after orb of hideous, acrid green power at Kuro. The dog was very nimble and kept darting away from them. Then Kuro went for straight for Mormo's throat. Just when it looked like Kuro would get him, Mormo reacted and let off a huge burst of power. It lit the room in a repulsive green and Kuro went down like a lead balloon.

A cry ripped through Julia's lungs, "No!" She got up and ran over to Kuro. When she saw he was still alive, she heaved a heavy sigh of relief. It was short lived. Julia turned around and saw Mormo picking up Ella by the throat, choking the life out of her.

Seeing the pleasure he was taking in killing her friend made something inside of her click into place. It felt weird and Julia didn't know what to make of it. She tried to draw power to her hands again, but she only produced a tiny little spark like a sparkler about to fizzle out.

"Don't worry, after I kill her, I will kill the dog and then rip out Damien's heart. After all, I owe him for what he did to me," Mormo said his voice soaking with malice.

Julia whimpered. She felt guilty that she was helpless. Her friends had all fought with their lives to save her, and all she could do was feebly stand by and watch.

When she was about to give up all hope, she heard Ren's voice. "There is greatness hidden inside of you. Greatness most of us can only dream of, sweet Julia. You only have to reach out and grab it. Stop doubting and believe in yourself because that belief will be your greatest weapon." It was as if everything fell into place and an inferno began to burn inside of her.

She stood up tall, her eyes locked onto Mormo and she flicked her hand at him. An invisible force flung him against the wall. "Don't you ever threaten me or my friends again."

Bright pink and orange flames engulfed him. He screamed in pain trying to stamp it out. But, nothing he did would extinguish the blaze. In a last desperate attempt he threw himself out of the window shattering it and landed in the shallow pond in the courtyard.

Julia walked over to the window and looked out. His body was flopping in the pond like a fish out of water as the flames still licked at his body. The bright pink and orange slowly changed into dark magenta and maroon as they died down. When the fire extinguished, she watched him making sure there was no movement from him as he lay face down in the water.

"Serves you right you stupid little man," she said with a smirk.

Feeling a hand on her shoulder she turned to see Kuro. He had ripped down one of the long red curtains, tore it in half and wrapped it around his waist like a sarong. "That was some awesome magic. Remind me never to piss you off, Jules."

She gave him a little prod with her elbow then turned and hugged him. "I'm so glad you're all right."

"Hey, it will take a lot more than that to kill me. Especially when my girl and her best friend need me."

She gave him a laugh and pulled away. "I need to go help Alex; are you going to be all right here?"

He nodded at her. "Yeah, Ella still looks out of it so I will stay here with her. Just come and get us when it's over."

*********************************

Thanks for reading and please don't forget to vote it helps get my books noticed.

love ya.

JJ