40: guns and kids don't mix

"Oh little boy, when will you learn? // You don't play with fire unless you wanna get burned." Burned. Grace VanderWaal.

--)->

"Hold your arm steady

"Hold your arm steady... No, you're trembling too much. The bullet could go anywhere if you don't hold the barrel straight..."

Training Jimmy in combat was proving to be a much tougher job than Erin had first expected. The seventeen year-old had nothing lacking in the eagerness department, but he was clearly more suited to farm life than fighting off strays as he continued to miss the targets she'd set up against some hay bales.

"I'm trying," he insisted, holding his arms out straight in front of him and trying to stop the shaking of his hands as they trembled against the cool plastic casing of the gun. She'd only given him an old glock despite his wishes to fire a rifle - from the performance she'd seen so far, she decided that had been a good decision.

"Shaky hands and firearms don't really mix well," she pointed out, trying not to show her doubt in him too much in her tone, "Here-" She reached up and steadied his hands between her palms, "Relax your arms. You've gotta stay calm and collected if you wanna hit your target..."

He gulped, nodding, his Adam's apple wobbling as his tongue darted out nervously to dampen his chapped lips, "O-okay..." The heat that hung in the air was sending sweat pouring down his forehead, the breeze making no difference to the flustered and embarrassed boy, "I'm sorry I'm not too good at this..."

"No one is at first. I promise," she forced an encouraging smile which was hopefully believable. He surprisingly seemed to accept her plastic promise without a question, making her seriously worry for the kid if he really thought he could survive in the real world. No one was honest in the real world; every word had to benefit them in some form. "Think you're ready to try again?"

He nodded, turning his gaze to the nearest target again and straightening his arms. They'd been at this for around two hours and she swore he wasn't taking in anything she was saying - she may as well have been talking gibberish for all her words were helping him. But, hey, it was better than sitting about feeling useless while the others did important things.

Daryl had gone straight back out into the forest almost as soon as he returned with Merle, taking one of the horses from the stable and leaving without even looking for her. According to Rick, he was headed up to the ridge and had said something about getting some more meat for the meal Carol and Lori were planning to thank Hershel for his hospitality.

The others - T-Dog, Merle, Maggie and Glenn - were busy gathering vegetables and other supplies out in the field while Andrea and Dale kept a watch on them from the RV. Every so often, she would hear a commotion from their direction as Merle doubtlessly made some racist or sexist remark, but it calmed down mere seconds after it started as he was shut down by Maggie who was quickly becoming one of Erin's favourite people on the farm.