Ten

Go To Sam's House

It doesn't seem like staying here is a great idea. The zombies are rapidly multiplying out there. Strength in numbers sounds good right now.

You slip to the kitchen and throw the backpack over a shoulder. Gripping a knife tightly, you check that the backyard is clear, and step out. Your heart is pounding away, breathing harsh, as you envision an undead monster coming out of the shadows to get you. But, nothing happens.

Hurrying, you cut through the back yard and away from your house. You somehow get away without being seen.

Coming out onto the next street over, you stick to the shadows. Another group of zombies is gathered at the door to a house down the street. They snarl and and bump against the house, leaving bloody smears on the white siding. You are careful to stay hidden and quiet as you work your way toward Sam's house.

When his blue two story comes into view, you breath a sigh of relief. You somehow made it this far without being eaten.

You're going to have to cross the street to get there. Even if you dash, you will be exposed for a few seconds. Eyeing the door like it's a prize, you leave the cover of the bushes you have been crouching in, and run. From the corner of your eye, you see two zombies turn your way. They are still a couple of houses down, and not fast, so you have time.

Pounding up Sam's driveway, you bounce off of his door and start yelling.

Nothing.

At first, you think that they must not be here, and you've made an awful mistake. But, then, a floorboard creaks inside, and you know that someone is in there. "Sam! Mrs. Smith?" You call.

Looking back, you see that more zombies have noticed you. The group is stumbling towards you, bloody drool dropping from their chins. Just as you start to get desperate, the door swings open, and Mr. Smith jerks you inside.

Panting, you watch him slam and bolt his solid front door. A baseball bat is propped in the corner. Looking down the hall, you see Sam, his mom, and his sister all watching you from a distance.

Just as the zombies reach the door, and begin banging against it, Mr. Smith grabs you and begins looking your skin over quickly. "Are you hurt? Did you get bit?" He asks you.

"I'm ok, " You assure him. "I've been locked in my house, but they were surrounding it, and I knew I had to get out of there."

Now Sam and the rest of his family comes down the hall to you. You are glad to see that they all look ok.

"Ok, guys. Back to the kitchen." Mr. Smith tells the group. You trail behind them and when you get to the kitchen, see that they are in the process of packing bags of food. It seems that you aren't the only one who decided to gather together some basic supplies. "We aren't staying here. It's not safe." Sam tells you as he stuffs food into a bag.

You kinda came to the same conclusion on your own. That's why you left your house. You just nod in agreement and watch the family. When all of the bags are zipped, Mr. Smith picks them up and carrys them into the attached garage. He must be loading them into the family's large suv.

Mrs. Smith looks at you and says, "You're coming with us, dear." You don't argue. You didn't come this far just to be left behind here. Safety in numbers.

"Where are we going?" You ask. Your Mom is likely to think of looking for you here, if she can't find you at your own house. But wherever you go from here, she won't be as likely to know about.

"We're going to the cabin." Sam tells you. The Smiths own a hunting cabin in the middle of nowhere. Isolated and surrounded by miles of forest, it sounds like the perfect place to retreat to.

"Can I leave a note for my Mom? She won't know where to look for me." You ask.

"Yes, but hurry." You are told. You rush to the kitchen counter and grab a pen and tablet.

Mom, went to the cabin with the Smiths. I'm ok. - Me

You keep it brief. Mom knows about the cabin. She's been there before. This will be enough information to get her to you. You leave the note on the center of the kitchen table, and hurry back to the garage.

Sam's family are all inside the suv, waiting for you. One back door is still open, and you climb in and slam it shut.

Checking that everyone is ready, Mr. Smith hits the garage door opener, and the door lifts up. Sunlight, and a few zombies, stream into the garage. Sam's little sister, yelps in your ear when a zombie crashes against the window inches from your face.

And then, Mr. Smith is backing out of the garage, crunching over the bodies of the undead who are in his way, as you all make your escape. There are at least a dozen zombies outside now, drawn to the house by your earlier yelling. You are glad for the protection of this vehicle as you slowly drive down the street.

Everyone is quiet, just looking around, as Mr. Smith drives. You wonder if it's their first time really seeing the chaos that has become your neighborhood.

When you come to the turn to head to the highway, Mr. Smith stops. He looks concerned, as he glances left and looks straight. Finally, he says," I'm not sure which way to go."

"What do you mean, dear?" Mrs. Smith asks him.

"I mean, I don't know if I should take the highway, or stick to back roads. The highway would be faster, but there will be more people. But, we have no idea what to expect on the back roads."

Stick with Back Roads- chapter 13

Go To The Highway - chapter 14