DAY 1

An old woman comes to get me and takes me to the locker room, in the basement of the boutique. Humped over, her glasses hanging off her nose and her hair done up in a huge bun, she grumbles as she goes down the stairs. This is Carmen, the uniformed Cerberus of Montezzo. She mumbles a few more words and then asks me to pull back my hair and put on an outfit in the maison's colors: a glossy brown pantsuit, pumps, a blouse and a silk scarf with the MM initials. Impeccable. The only thing missing is a pair of gloves and I'd look like the perfect maid, ready to serve: "Coffee or tea? ".

- "You're the new one? she asks me." (In a thick Spanish accent)

- "Yes."

- "What size shoe do you wear?"

- "7."

- "Here, try this 9, it's the only one left."

- "But my foot will be lost in it..."

- "Well, just put in some insoles!"

She gives me the rest of my uniform: a tee shirt which someone has already worn and which smells of sweat, and a blouse that seems to have shrunk after several washes. My hair combed and my face made up, I'm finally ready to start my first day under her guidance:

- "Be sure to tie your scarf around your neck every day, otherwise it's me who'll get told off!"

As I climb the main staircase, I bump into the other employees, each one dressed exactly like me. Clones. But no turning back now. I absolutely need this job. Welfare is my only other option.

"If you like this chapter, please vote."