chapter 18

Everyone took care of me the next two days. Brock was actually the one helping and taking care of me. The others just kept me company. I was surprised at how much Brock knew. I knew he studied to be a doctor but I never knew how far along he was. I never knew he knew all this stuff on medicine. He told me he wanted to finish up his studies after the war. It was nice learning more about his life. Actually, I learned a lot more about everyone over the course of a few days. We were all so busy that we never really got to talk. It was nice. And before I knew it, it was Friday. And since I was feeling much better, I helped Cassy get ready for her date.

            “What about this one?” She asks.

            I look over at her and grimace. It was a dress that a grandma would wear to church. I shake my head at her.

            “Definitely not. Where did you even find that thing?” I asks curiously.

            “It was on sale.” Cassy shrugs.

            Oh boy. I think I might have a shopaholic on my hands. I go back to looking at her closet. She needs something cute but not too revealing. She is only 13 after all. I pick out a skirt that goes to the knees and a plain long sleeve top. Then I take a colorful scarf and decide to have Cassy try it on.

            She tries it on and when she came out, she looked adorably cute. I squealed at her and she looked at herself in the mirror. She squealed with me and then we both started laughing. I give her some sandals to match the belt on her skirt and I knew the outfit was complete. I go to the door and open it to let the boys in. They all crowd in the room to take a look at Cassy.

            “Nope nope nope. She is not going out like that.” Connor says.

            I give him a pointed look. “And why not?” I ask.

            “Look at her!” Connor points at Cassy. “She’s too cute! This Jeremy kid isn’t going to want to keep his hands off of her. No, she needs to wear a habit or something.” He thinks deeply about what she should wear while I stare at him in disbelief.

            “I quite agree with Connor. Poor kid Jeremy won’t stand a chance.” Tristan nods in agreement.

            “Hold up! They’re only 13 years old! I mean, yeah, Jeremy is a boy but I’ll castrate him before he even thinks of doing something inappropriate.” I say.

            The boys shiver and cross their legs. I smirk at them and look back at Cassy.

            “You look lovely. Just have a good time and be yourself. And if anything happens, just call me. I’ll be there in a flash.” I smile at her reassuringly.

            Cassy grins back and starts to skip downstairs. I look back at the boys.

            “I’m going to drop her off and then go around town. I need to check a few things. So you boys are on your own.” I leave the room and take Cassy to the movie theatre.

>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<

            “Alright, have fun!” I yell.

            Cassy waves at me as she goes into the theatre. A grin appears on my face. This is a nice normal life I wanted for her. I hope it stays like this. I walk further down the road to meet with my lawyer. I had to do something before I go back to camp.

            I walked into a little diner and sat at my usual place before I left for the war. Linda, the waitress, greats me like always and we chat for a while before I see Mr. Andrews walk in and sit across from me.