Chapter 32

I drifted through dreams where Lucas and I wandered deep through a forest, enchanting wild mushrooms to dance to the pulsing beat of dubstep. But before my alarm clock beeped enough times to bring me fully to consciousness, the sinking feeling in my stomach let me know today would not be a good one. Last night had been perfect. This morning was like waking up and realizing I'd blown my entire paycheck on bubblegum and cotton candy.

I would face the Oracle today.

The Oracle only ever spoke to the godmothers at noon and midnight, except on very special occasions. For five minutes at noon today, the park holding the Oracle's Fountain would become strangely empty. The Humdrums wouldn't know why they left or fell asleep; they wouldn't even realize it had happened. And in those five minutes, my fate would land squarely on my shoulders. I felt the weight already.

At least I had the memory of Elle's face last night to focus on, and the text on my phone that said, Kyle just got me Summer Glau's signature! Omg! HE IS THE BEST. I had no idea who Summer Glau was or why her signature was worth three exclamation marks, but the giddy joy rising off the words was was unmistakable.

Imogen met me at the door to Wishes Fulfilled, wearing a loose sweatshirt and a hoodie. She looked exhausted but happy, at least until she got a good look at my face.

"I'm supposed to be out glamoured as a squirrel with a hurt leg to see if anyone stops to help," she said. She managed to roll her eyes through her concern. Animal glamours weren't her favorite, mostly due to how big she claimed people's nostrils got when they cooed down at her. She gave me a quick squeeze.

I tried to relax into the hug and remind myself that at least Imogen would still be my friend after today. I couldn't say as much for anyone else in the building, or, for that matter, my own home.

"I'll be cheering you on," Imogen said, which was sweet. I'd barely had time to text her the whole story before falling into bed last night, and I knew she must be burning with a million questions. "I'm trying to pick a spot close to the Fountain but we'll see what happens. Good luck!"

An icy chill hit when I walked into the office. Lorinda was behind her glass windows. I caught her eye as I walked past. She didn't smile. Neither did Aster or Maybelle. They'd both peeked out when my footsteps had sounded, but their heads popped back into their cubicles almost as fast. Aster looked scared. Maybelle looked like she thought I deserved what I was about to get.

Word had spread fast. But I shouldn't have been surprised. These women were busybodies for a living.

The morning dragged. The monotony of the filing papers only gave me time to think up horrible scenarios. I didn't even know for sure what the Oracle did when a faerie godmother failed. Tabitha had told me a horror story about a junior godmother who'd botched one of her early cases. The girl had lost her job, been punished by the Oracle for upsetting the balance, and ended up checking herself into a Magical rehab clinic for fairy dust addiction. She'd been in and out of there for years, Tabitha said, and never really moved on with her life.

That wouldn't happen to me, of course, I told myself. I was more sensible than that. I was grounded. I was calm. I was a lowly intern. And I had made the right decision.

My confidence lasted a whole three seconds before another slew of nightmare scenarios started chewing at the edges of my thoughts.

When quarter to noon finally arrived, it was almost a relief. Lorinda stepped outside her office, her presence thickening the tension in the room. She crooked a finger at me. "You," she said. "Downstairs. Tatania help you. This is what I get for letting an intern do a godmother's job."