13

13

Voices. I first heard them outside but now they seemed to come from downstairs. The men's voices were muffled but loud as their voices boom up the stairs and reverberated through the second floor hallway. I sit up in my bed with tired eyes, listening in on the heated conversation downstairs. Who was here?

CRASH!

On instinct I grab my wand from the bedside table and leap out of the queen bed forgetting all about my sleepiness. My heart thumps against my chest as the anxiety heightens through my body. The voices grow quieter, now only mumbles. Reaching out a shaky hand, I take the doorknob and twist it slowly. Pulling the door open I flinch at the loud creaking noise it makes. I silently hoped no one had heard it.

Taking a hesitant step out of the room I walk across the floor with tiptoes, trying my hardest not to make the floor creak beneath me. Pressing my back against the violet wall I continue tiptoeing until I reach the mahogany wood of the staircase railing. The voices are clearer now as I listen to the conversation below,

" - must I warn you. Now, stop playing your games and tell me where the girl is." There was a silent pause before I heard the familiar voice of my Uncle Vector. By the sound of his voice I could tell he was trying to stay strong and seem authoritative.

"I will not hand her over to you until you tell me the reasoning behind this. I am one of His most faithful followers! Who gave you the right to break into my home and demand for my niece?" Vector snaps. Deciding to have a better look, I poke my head out from the railing and look below. Two men who were taller than Vector stood right below with their wands out pointing at my uncle.

Snatchers, I thought.

The man closest to the staircase was the tallest, standing a good 6'5 with dyed, long blue hair slicked back into a tight knot. The man beside him was only slightly smaller than him, reaching to the other's shoulder.

His chestnut hair was shaggy and greasy with some parts hanging in half-done braids, dreadlocks, and knots. As I leaned in further to take a good look at these guys the old railing suddenly jolted forward causing a loud POP as the wood splintered away from the wall. I fling myself back holding my breath praying desperately that the men had suddenly become deaf during that unfortunate moment.

"Grab the girl." I hear one sneer with a raspy smoker's voice. Upon hearing that I bolt back to my room and slam the door, ignoring the yells coming from Vector.

"Colloportus!" I scream pointing my wand at the door. The door instantly seals and without a second thought I open my window and look down. The jump would be too far to make without me breaking an ankle so I climb out the window and hold on tightly to the railing ignoring my fear of heights. I gasp hearing my door behind hit with a heavy force.

"Please don't use the counter charm." I mumble as I grab onto a nearby pipe. Suddenly the door bursts open in the room but I smile triumphantly knowing the Snatcher was too late. I smirk at the Oriental man with the blue hair before sliding down the pipe with ease to the ground. The snow crunches under my bare feet and I want to cry out at how cold it was but I knew it was crucial to get away.

"Expelliarmus!" I fall into the snow with a groan and try to get back up when suddenly a rough voice shouts, "Crucio!" I let out a scream of agony. My entire body is heated to the point it starts to burn. My skin crawls and it feels as if thousands of invisible needles are repeatedly stabbing me all over my body. I scream as my body writhes around in pain and I find myself begging for them to release me from the curse. My head is pounding as the curse seems to increase; the pain becoming unbearable.